It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
(female)

debaratisinha HB User
Please HELP! Swollen Lymph nodes on 17 month old

Hi ... I am an excessively worried mother of a 17 month old boy. He was recently given MMR and Varicella and right after 8 days I discovered a dime sized swelling behind his right ear, near the hairline. On the first visit to Paed, he said not to worry.

After about 4 days from that, I discovered two clusters of small swollen lymph glands ( more like pellets around 0.5 cm) at the back of his head and 3 large ( around 1 cm diameter) ones in his neck. Again I rushed him to the Paed, who again asked me not to worry. Not thoroughly convinced, I took him to another Paed, who asked me not to worry again and wait for 3 weeks ( as if ) to see whether they go down on their own.

Almost convinced of lymphoma by now, I took him next to an ENT who prescribed one antibiotic (Amoxicylin) for 12 days 2x times. 8 days have now passed with no drastic improvement and I am scared ****. My son is otherwise fine, with no associated weakness, fever, grumpiness, loss of appetite bla bla... And now I do not know what to do. I am absolutely hating the non chalant attitute of the paeds, and thinking of getting his blood work done and a mantoux test if required.

Have you guys gone through any of this? How long does it take for the lymph glands to go away if its caused by some viral reaction? Isnt 4 weeks way long a time to wait and watch? I am going nuts with worry, please can you atleast share your experiences with me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
(female)

kanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB User
Re: Please HELP! Swollen Lymph nodes on 17 month old

Hi: I understand your concern. I have heard this before, where drs. don't seem especially concerned over swollen lymph nodes. Its your body's way of reacting to illness or virus, and so is considered a temporary condition in itself. Small children seem to get them quite often. If it were me, as I am a mom too I would be also concerned, but maybe not extremely so since it coincides with a virus. But then I would also probably give my child high doses of Vitamin C, which shouldn't hurt them, maybe give them a little loose stool is all. Your body is working really hard, so maybe what the child needs is their immune system boosted, something drs don't usually talk to much about. In a small child you need to be careful what you give them so consult with a naturopath or a nutrionist or ask at a reputable health food store what is safe.
Best wishes, K.

The Following User Says Thank You to kanded For This Useful Post:
debaratisinha (05-12-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
(female)

debaratisinha HB User
Re: Please HELP! Swollen Lymph nodes on 17 month old

Thanks so much for the reply. Yes I would try to not worry excessively, and concentrate on giving him natural remedies ... However his antibiotics course is just gonna get over in 2 days.. Would have to anyways take him to his Paed for an update. Lets see what he says next ! :-)

Till then, take care

Reply Reply