It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2003, 09:48 AM   #1

xcocox HB User
glandular fever - kissing!!

hey everyone! I was just wondering if anyone knew how long you have to restrain from kissing after having glandular fever. I contracted the virus around 2 months ago and im worried about passing it onto people! Also, are you alowed to drink alcohol after?? thanx very much, nicole xx

Old 11-17-2003, 04:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User
Otherwise known as infectious mono (the kissing disease) is caused by the E-B virus. Once you have the infection, you harbor the vrus for life. After the infection has resolved, small amounts of the virus are presennt in the sasliva. Stress may prolong the period of recovery. Some people may have trivial or no symptoms when infected.

Bruce

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2003, 06:36 PM   #3

trac HB User
Re: glandular fever - kissing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce
Otherwise known as infectious mono (the kissing disease) is caused by the E-B virus. Once you have the infection, you harbor the vrus for life. After the infection has resolved, small amounts of the virus are presennt in the sasliva. Stress may prolong the period of recovery. Some people may have trivial or no symptoms when infected.

Bruce
well, i've just been diagnosed with glandular fever 3 months ago.
haven't got a clue where it came from. haven't kissed anybody. tell you what though, i've never felt so ill in my whole life. probably caught mine down at school at a guess.

Old 11-10-2004, 03:58 PM   #4

flickness HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trac
well, i've just been diagnosed with glandular fever 3 months ago.
haven't got a clue where it came from. haven't kissed anybody. tell you what though, i've never felt so ill in my whole life. probably caught mine down at school at a guess.

you can also pick it up from sharing cups and things.

People can also be carries of the virus but not actually show any symptoms .

Old 11-15-2004, 01:01 PM   #5

les_etoiles HB User

if you've had mono before you will always have it the rest of your life. it's a virus which means it lives in your cells forever and things like stress or other sicknesses that weaken your immune system can make it come up again, so take care of yourself

i have been taking something called monobrex and it has totally changed the way i feel (in a good way). i'm pretty much over mono now, and i was told i would have it for like a month or two before i even began to start really recovering. this stuff is supposed to help your immune system, i think, so you get over it faster than just lying around (even though you need to get plenty of rest, too).

anyway, since it's always in your system, you can pass it on to other people who haven't had it. the thing is, most people already have it, and when they're little kids it looks like a cold or fever, so most people miss it. when it acts up when you're a teenager or adult, that's when it knocks you down really hard. for most people, if they've already had it, they won't get sick if you kiss them. there's no way to know they've had it, i think, unless they tell you. i don't think tests will show it unless it's flared up.

anway, i hope you're getting better. and watch how much spit you swap

Old 11-16-2004, 03:46 PM   #6

-T- HB User

Basically Mono (glandular fever) is passed on through saliva and a carrier of glandular fever, which is usually someone who was infected but whos got over it, can have it still in there saliva from time to time. You can catch gladular fever through kissing, sharing drinks from the same utensils or even from coughing on someone. You can catch it from pretty much anyone but a lot of people are under the assumption that glandular fever is passed on by kissing. Yes it is. But not always. I've got no idea how I caught mine and I feel pretty rotten. I've had mine for about 3 months now. I will tell you doctors are no use whenit comes to glandular fever. They are very unhelpful. The best thing to do is drink plenty, rest when you need to, eat healthily and take vitamins. I hope you get better soon!

Closed Thread