It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2004, 01:11 PM   #1

vbcatw HB User
Question Mercer Disease

My step-grandfather was diagnosed two days ago with Mercer disease. I can find mothing about it in medical dictionaries or online. If anyone has any information about this or has heard of it I would appreaciate a response. We
haven't been able to speak with the doctor so this may not even be the way it is spelled. All I know for sure is it is infectious and his feet are not to be touched without gloves or anything that has his urine on it. He is in isoloation at a VA hospital. They are needing to put him in a rehab but no one want to take him because of the isolation thing. Thank for any help.

Old 05-24-2004, 02:47 PM   #2

tryingtofeelgood HB User
Lightbulb Re: Mercer Disease

I am sorry to hear of your grandfather's health. I have not heard of Mercer disease either. Perhaps you have made a phone call and have the doctor spell it out for you. Then you can research/post here for help.

Randi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbcatw
My step-grandfather was diagnosed two days ago with Mercer disease. I can find mothing about it in medical dictionaries or online. If anyone has any information about this or has heard of it I would appreaciate a response. We
haven't been able to speak with the doctor so this may not even be the way it is spelled. All I know for sure is it is infectious and his feet are not to be touched without gloves or anything that has his urine on it. He is in isoloation at a VA hospital. They are needing to put him in a rehab but no one want to take him because of the isolation thing. Thank for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2004, 09:32 AM   #3

ehmutley HB User
Re: Mercer Disease

Hi there. My dad has had Mercer infections for a while now, also in his foot. He's a diabetic and had several surgeries on one of his feet, and during one he contracted the Mercer virus. I don't know to much about it other than what my mom remembers to tell me. From what I know, and this is just heresay, the virus never goes away and is prone to flare ups every now and then. My dad just had a flare up that landed him in the hospital fighting for his foot and his life. I wish your step-grandfather all the luck in the world.

~E

Old 05-26-2004, 06:44 AM   #4

ehmutley HB User
Lightbulb Re: Mercer Disease

I have a friend who's a nurse and she was able to answer a lot of questions about MRSA. Here's a brief overview:

MRSA is a form of infection from Staphyloccocus areus that is resistant to the antibiotic methicillin. Staph aureus is a group of bacteria commonly found on the skin. When skin is cut or scraped, the bacteria can enter the body and cause a relatively common skin infection. But when these bacteria become resistant to antibiotics, as is the case with MRSA, they can spread to cause pneumonia, bone infections, and infections of the bloodstream.

Maybe you can find more information on it now that you know the correct spelling. Hope this helps.

~Erin

Old 06-14-2004, 03:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User

So is the disease you guys are talking about Mercer's or MRSA? I'll be honest, I've never heard of the former. MRSA however, I've seen a lot. It's actually normally on a lot of people's skin (especially those who have been on a lot o' antibiotics) and it only really causes problems if the person is really sick, or it is passed to someone who is really sick (though direct contact).

Now someone mentioned something about the Mercer virus. Where did you hear about this virus?

Old 09-18-2004, 05:04 PM   #6

sweettaffy HB User

hello, I was reading these articles and my uncle died of this virus and we did not know about this until today, can you catch it from that person?? please reply very important

Old 09-19-2004, 06:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User

So there IS something called the Mercer virus? I thought we had established that the person originally starting this thread was talking about MRSA...which is a bacterium.

Old 10-11-2004, 11:43 PM   #8
(female)

MomaGin HB User

MRSA is methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus
Staphylococcus aureus, often referred to simply as "staph," are bacteria commonly carried on the skin or in the nose of healthy people. Occasionally, staph can cause an infection; staph bacteria are one of the most common causes of skin infections in the United States. Most of these infections are minor (such as pimples and boils) and most can be treated without antibiotics (also known as antimicrobials or antibacterials). However, staph bacteria can also cause serious infections (such as surgical wound infections and pneumonia). In the past, most serious staph bacteria infections were treated with a certain type of antibiotic related to penicillin. Over the past 50 years, treatment of these infections has become more difficult because staph bacteria have become resistant to various antibiotics, including the commonly used penicillin-related antibiotics (1). These resistant bacteria are called methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA.
I know this because my son has MRSA.He is 15 years old. He has had 17 surgeries to fight infection in his ear. He just has surgery on Thursday. They had to remove his mastoid bone and an implant that they put in to bring back his hearing.
We have been on a PICC line. That is a portable IV. I give him IV antibiotics 2x a day.
Using Vancomycin. He had an allergic reaction. Was in the hospital for 3 days. They removed the line. The scheduled an emergency surgery.Hehad his surgery last Thursday. They removed the linning of the masotid bone ( what was left of it ) this is his 3rd surgery on his mastoid bone. They took out the bridge. Because of the MRSA the ear drum pulled away from the bridge. It too had t come out.
We are now on a midline. IV antibiotics for 5 weeks 2x a day. He is on Zyvox, the drug has been out sense 2000.
This infection is a very serious one. It has been known to kill people as well.
Thank God that we found it in time. He is doing very well. He might get to go back to school on Wednesday.

Closed Thread