It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2004, 08:33 PM   #1

Mum2 HB User
Enteroccus, Group Strep B and E Coli....

Hi there can anyone help.
I gave birth 7 months ago with having group strep B, doctors didn't do anything as they said it wasn't a problem for me only my bubba. However in the past 2 months I have been diagnosed (from swabs) with enteroccus (cleared up after 1 week antibiotics), 2 weeks later more cramps, swab came back with high colonization of group strep b, after 2 weeks on more antibiotics it cleared up. BUT only 1 week of being off the antibiotics ANOTHER swab (it's been fun!) has come back with e coli.......!!!!!!
Soooooooooo my questions are:
why would e coli come up from a swab, i thoiught it was a gut thing?
why am i continuaaly having these infections, i live in a very humid country and am thinking that combined with the amount of antibiotics my body is more susceptable.
finally other than yoghurt can i be doing something else - i hate taking antibiotics and have now been on 4 courses in the past 2 months.
any info would b gratefully appreciated, it will b good to feel unbloated andwithout cramps.
Mum2 xx

Old 07-05-2004, 10:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User
Re: Enteroccus, Group Strep B and E Coli....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mum2
Hi there can anyone help.
I gave birth 7 months ago with having group strep B, doctors didn't do anything as they said it wasn't a problem for me only my bubba. However in the past 2 months I have been diagnosed (from swabs) with enteroccus (cleared up after 1 week antibiotics), 2 weeks later more cramps, swab came back with high colonization of group strep b, after 2 weeks on more antibiotics it cleared up. BUT only 1 week of being off the antibiotics ANOTHER swab (it's been fun!) has come back with e coli.......!!!!!!
Soooooooooo my questions are:
why would e coli come up from a swab, i thoiught it was a gut thing?
why am i continuaaly having these infections, i live in a very humid country and am thinking that combined with the amount of antibiotics my body is more susceptable.
finally other than yoghurt can i be doing something else - i hate taking antibiotics and have now been on 4 courses in the past 2 months.
any info would b gratefully appreciated, it will b good to feel unbloated andwithout cramps.
Mum2 xx
Whoa...this kind of sounds shady. I'll tell you why.

20-30% of women's vaginas are colonized with Group B Strep, and it is *totally* normal. The only time it ever poses a problem--albeit theoretical--is during childbirth because it can pass to the baby and result in pneumonia or meningitis. Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with having a vagina colonized by GBS. Antibiotics, of course, will clear it up, but if you are normally colonized with it, it'll come right back; however, when giving antibiotics when you don't need it, you can actually cause other organisms to grow (when certain ones die) and it can make things worse.

Secondly, you're asking why your vagina was colonized with E. coli. You're right, it is a gut thing, so why was it in your vagina? Well, if you look at most urinary tract infections in women, they are caused by E. coli. It's easy to say where it comes from....the anus is the vagina's next door neighbour Also, sexual activity can (and does) cause some transfer to the vagina. No, I'm not suggesting you're engaging in anal sex...regular vaginal intercourse can do this all the same.

Which antibiotics have you been one? Are cramps your only symptom? Because cramps after giving birth are normal, and they can last for up to four weeks. Are you having any urinary symptoms? Burning when you pee? Peeing way more often? Having trouble peeing?

Just out of curiosity, who is treating you? The obstetrician?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2004, 03:47 AM   #3

Mum2 HB User

Hi Butterfly - thanks for your response.
I gave birth 7 months ago so is definately not afterbirth pains, however they were fun too! My doc (have been seeing gp) thinks it has been a run of bad luck, combined with low bacteria count from the antibiotics, living in a humid environment and possibly being run down from 2 small children. RE: the e coli i had recently been swimming in a dodgey beach which is known for e coli..... obviously didn't realise this at the time as I was jumping feet first into what could've resulted as an e coli douche! anyway, the cramping usually occurs after eating, along with obvious bloating and wind other than that no other symptoms, a little discharge however if I didn't have the cramping wouldn't think anything of it.
I don't have the antibiotics names on hand but a couple were augmentin, amoxil, something starting with z (that you took 4 in one hit), recently something starting with Oc something.... sorry very vague and diflocun pes. All these were prescribed by my gp.
I spoke to my family obi and told her the situation and she has suggested lactobac to replace good bacteria and go see her in 2 weeks if the last lot of antibiotics didn't work........... I was thinking could it be an imbalance in the ph "down there?" or as a nurse friend suggested possibly worms that are carrrying the bacteria from back to front.
Unfortunately i finished the last lot of antibiotics yesterday and i still feel uncomfortable is it likely that the balancing of bacteria could sort this out? am at a bit of a loss????
Many thanks - hey could it even be IBS and a coincidence that the doc is finding this bacteria....... no idea...
Mum2

Old 07-15-2004, 03:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

hi mum 2, i have group b strep if you want to chat, had my baby 9 and half months ago, have you any other problems with strep? i know its suppose to have no symptoms. You might be allergic to dairy or what or could be stress, love april

Closed Thread