It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2004, 06:49 PM   #1

Lori(Florida) HB User
Question MRSA Infection in knee

Hi I am new here. I Have had MRSA in the leg now for over two years . This past April I had my second total knee replacement done in just a little over a year. The first failed due to infection after 9 months they thought it was safe to put the new revision in but within 10 days I had a serious infection of MRSA . I was on Vancomyicin and merrem for 16 weeks then on Zyvox for another 8 weeks and still on it but, the doctors of infection are concerned cause the infection levels are climbing sed rate and crp are extremely high.

I was hoping for some advice from anyone that has or is suffering from the infection after prosthesis surgery. Lori

Old 10-11-2004, 11:37 PM   #2
(female)

MomaGin HB User
Re: MRSA Infection in knee

My Son is fighting the same thing. He is 15 years old. He has had 17 surgeries to fight infection in his ear. He just has surgery on Thursday. They had to remove his mastoid bone and an implant that they put in to bring back his hearing.
We have been on a PICC line. That is a portable IV. I give him IV antibiotics 2x a day.
Using Vancomycin. He had an allergic reactionAfter 3 weeks Was in the hospital for 3 days. They removed the line. The scheduled an emergency surgery.He had his surgery last Thursday. They removed the linning of the masotid bone ( what was left of it ) this is his 3rd surgery on his mastoid bone. They took out the bridge. Because of the MRSA the ear drum pulled away from the bridge. It too had t come out.
We are now on a midline. IV antibiotics for 5 weeks 2x a day. He is on Zyvox, the drug has been out sense 2000.
This infection is a very serious one. My Infectious Disese Dr. said. That the prostetic device had to come out. Let the infection heal and go away. make sure that it doesn't come back, then do the replacement.
They have explained to me that they didn't deal with ears that much, that they dealt with knees, or other parts of the body.
What is happening is this. Hen you have MRSA and you put an implant in on top of the MRSA, where the implant is, if it is stil infected, there is no antibiotics that are going to be able to get to the part. It doesn't get to the blood there.
I hope this helps. They have done allot of these with the knees.
Also, they did a study on Vancomyicin and Zyvox. The people on Zyvox came off of the treatment earlier then the ones on Vancomyicin.My son was on it a week before surgery. His ear looked 100 percent better when they did surgery then it did before.
Talk to your infectious disease Dr. about taking that out and letting the body heal that infection.I have read where this infection is so bad that it has killed people before.
That is why I am so worried about my son
Hope this hleps

The Following User Says Thank You to MomaGin For This Useful Post:
reeve1 (02-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread