It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2005, 10:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User
my baby has MRSA

Ok where should I start. Two years ago while I was away at college my dad was hospitaized, and after he came home he developed boils all over. He had many lanced and the infection seemed to clear up but he would get recurrences every few months. Well I come home after this whole thing started and I got it too but only on my bottom and groin area. They put me on keflex before the cultures came back showing it was resistant. The damn doctors never told me I had MRSA they just put me on something else. Well just my luck it all started when I was pregnant so I couldnt even take the strong drugs since I was pregnant. Well I got better and then a month later I had another boil in the same area as before which was lanced and the medicine they prescribed made me sick anyways so I didnt take it but healed up fine with no more boils. Well I went for 6 months with no probelms until a month after my son was born and I got a couple small boils in the groin area again. My doctor put me on levaquin which solved the problem. Shortly after that my son who was 6 weeks old at the time got a boil in his diaper area and I was freaking out but they told me it was just an ingrown hair (never did a culture). Well now he is 16 months old and got a bad one and I made the doctor culture it this time since he ignored the previious ones. Sure enough it came back MRSA. Prior to this I had been putting bactroban in my nose twice a day for six motnhs. I wish i had done that before my son was born but nobody told me to. So now I know Dylan has been colonized by this bacteria. Does anyone have any ideas about how to rid him of it forever? I have started putting bactroban in his nostrils and washing his bum with antibacterial body wash. My husband and I have started the same thing since I am sure my husband is now infected as well. (he had a boil on his leg a few months ago). This is so irritating because the doctos dont know anything!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2005, 11:30 AM   #2
(female)

allsick HB User
Re: my baby has MRSA

Both of my young sons have MRSA as well as STAPH A they culture it in their nose lungs and throat. They are cystic fibrosis patients though. However in many cases MRSA may become dormant but will not go away. ANytime my sons get a scratch it turns into staph because of the cultured infection. Many health people carry a few forms of strep or staph at a time. The most common places are in their nose or pierced ears. MRSA is also a problem in newborn nursery in a lots of hospital. I do not put my kids in shopping carts at grocery stores inless they have antibactirial wipes. I wipe down the entire cart any place my sons will touch or thing I am buying will touch. The tub and kitchen sink can also be problem areas as well. Try to use antibactieral and antimicrobacterial cleaners in there as well keeping them dry while not in use. IN most cases all you can do is try to keep it dormant by taking extra care.

Old 06-18-2005, 12:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

Thank you for your reply. Did your sons catch MRSA from the hospital? And have you been infected?

Old 06-20-2005, 12:52 PM   #4
(female)

allsick HB User

Yes they think my boys got it from the hospital. No I have not cultured it myself. There were 13,000 cases of MRSA at my childrens hospital last year. That is around 37 cases a day.

Closed Thread