It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2005, 10:40 PM   #1
(female)

CALIFBLU HB User
osteomyelitis-MRSA

Hi, Have had MRSA x3 osteomyelitis x 2, first time was after I fell and fx my L shoulder about a week after the intial surgery,I spent about a month in and out of the hospital 4 surgies in 30 days awound vac , something left over the the concentration camps , so painfull it took 35 mg of IV morphine to change the the dressing every 2 days , it basically speeds up healing by debriding the wound with giant pieces of what you would use to scrub (scrubbies) your BBQ grill , it is hooked to a vaccumn that you drag with you .It is about the size of a toaster and weighs about ten lbs . I'd guess. second time was when I had elective surgery tarsal tunnel on my L foot . it took about 3 weeks before the MRSA showed up .vanco and a trip to the hospital , wound vac again . but then a few weeks later I got it again .this time surgery to clean the wound again osteomyelitis and vanco .that drug is awful makes you as sick as a dog .I was so sick to my stomach .question is does osteo weaken the bones?am concerned about my ankle since now I've develpoed neuropathy in my foot and can hardly feel my L foot am afraid I will step wrong and break my ankle.I live upstairs .though am careful things happen. Blu

Old 08-06-2005, 01:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CARAT414 HB User
Re: osteomyelitis-MRSA

Hi, from what I understand from my doctors that the remaining bone that still remains after my surgery can regerate and heal. It can take several years for this to happen but on my last Gallium (sp?) bone scan it had showed major improvement in both the areas that have had bone graphing done to help stimulate growth and in the areas where no graphing has been done. So I am assuming that with the surgery it may have weakened the bone and you need to be more careful for some time, it is possible for it to heal.

I read that you also had a root canal and have pain in your jaw bone. Have you discovered if the osteomyelitis is the cause of this pain???

Thanks,
C

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2005, 09:08 AM   #3
(female)

CALIFBLU HB User

I'm not aware of a Gallium bone scan being done though I did have bone scan with contrast at 3hrs and then 24 hrs . intervals ?. I went to see an ortho soc /surgeon he said that my foot is basically deformed , the bones are wrong ? I walk with my ankle leaning inward and am extremely flat footed , that the bones got the way they are over time from from the way I walk and that probably is why my foot is so numb , the nerve is being pinched ,and tendon is involved I believe , also the area where the tarsal tunnel was needs to be cleaned up am having mri next week. wsounds confusing to me . blu

Old 08-06-2005, 09:43 AM   #4
(female)

CALIFBLU HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blufairy
I'm not aware of a Gallium bone scan being done though I did have bone scan with contrast at 3hrs and then 24 hrs . intervals ?. I went to see an ortho soc /surgeon he said that my foot is basically deformed , the bones are wrong ? I walk with my ankle leaning inward and am extremely flat footed , that the bones got the way they are over time from from the way I walk and that probably is why my foot is so numb , the nerve is being pinched ,and tendon is involved I believe , also the area where the tarsal tunnel was needs to be cleaned up am having mri next week. wsounds confusing to me . blu

Last edited by blufairy; 08-06-2005 at 09:44 AM. Reason: "C" wanted to let you know I took the post I wrote along with your reply to bone thread hope this is ok . Blu

Old 08-12-2005, 05:21 PM   #5
(female)

tomsnana HB User
Angry Re: osteomyelitis-MRSA

On Christmas morning, 2003 I lost the love of my life to MRSA. Diabetic lesion on foot was not responding to any and all antibiotics. Doctors said he had bone infection and only way to clear it up was mid-foot amputation. He had surgery and was on antibiotics for 6 weeks and was in rehab to learn how to walk and doing good. 2 weeks after antibiotics finished, he started having chills and shaking and foot broke open and cultured showed MRSA. Off to the hospital where no amount of antibiotics helped and he died.
I have gone over all his medical records and am unable to determine if MRSA was in the foot bones from a prior (2 years earlier) cellulitis of that leg. Did it localize and vegetate in that foot?
Try to get these questions answered by MD's, good luck.

tomsnana

Old 08-14-2005, 05:16 PM   #6
(female)

CALIFBLU HB User
Question Re: osteomyelitis-MRSA

am so very sorry for your loss, that MRSA is so nasty . and osteo. is no joke . that is what concerns me . I see the ortho doc on tues . for report from mri. I want to get a second opinion and to see my infection controll doc . before I make any desicions about another surgery.my foot has a failed tarsal tunnel like carpal but in the foot . alos have neuropathy so foot is mostly numb the new doc tells me that i have deformed bones and a tendon pressing on the nreve that is also causing the numbness , sugery with abone graft and a cast for 1 month prior to sugery should? ? correct this ..?? no promises...with MRSA and osteo haging in background ..... but again with numb foot am afraid I will break my ankle stepping wrong ..since I don't feel my foot .. 50/50 ... I feel it's more than that ,, family is torn ....infection controll doc has alot of in put ...what to do .... take care Blu

Last edited by blufairy; 08-14-2005 at 05:19 PM.

Old 08-14-2005, 11:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

CARAT414 HB User

tomsnana, I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

C

Old 09-08-2005, 08:53 PM   #8
(female)

tomsnana HB User
Smile Re: osteomyelitis-MRSA

Thank you for your best wishes and prayers. We must go on however hard it may be.
My prayer to you all that are battling.

Tomsnana

Closed Thread