It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2005, 09:34 AM   #1
(male)

becksA HB User
mono+flu shot?

I came down with mono about 6-8 months ago, and the only real lasting symptom is slightly enlarged lymph nodes in my throat. I know my immune system is down as that goes with the territory, would it be advisable to get a flu shot?

Old 10-29-2005, 07:43 AM   #2
(male)

NCGuy HB User
Re: mono+flu shot?

I would certainly get vaccinated but not with the flu mist, with the injection. I had mono several years ago and it was reccomended that I get one and I've gotten one ever since.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2005, 08:12 PM   #3
(male)

becksA HB User

thank you, and out of curiosity....why not the mist?

Old 10-29-2005, 09:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

The mist contains a live, but weakened virus, that could possibly give you the flu if you have a very compromised immune system. The shot contains a killed virus, that cannot give you the flu.

I currently have mono (diagnosed 3 weeks ago, still sleeping most of the day...). I asked the doc about it, since I usually get a flu shot because of my asthma and because I am a grad student and spend lots of time on a large college campus. He said that although I was probably a little down on my immune system right now, he thought that the benefits of me getting a shot (and therefore not getting flu with asthma) were greater than whatever risks there are of getting the shot while having mono. But that was his opinion on my personal situation. So I'm waiting another week or so and then getting it. Can't wait too long, though, because they've already confirmed a few cases in my state.

Old 11-02-2005, 02:50 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

NatashaW HB User

I read up on this and talked to doc and they say that people with bad Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (which is very close to mono. Mono is caused by Epstein barr virus, and usully people with CFS have this aso) should NOT get the flu shot because their immune system is already in such overdrive. An actively SICK individual with a chronic illness is usually advised against the flu shot (although people with asthma should). A person with a mild illness usually is recommended to get the shot. There are also many people who believe flu shots are poision, especially to young people.

Closed Thread