It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2006, 04:49 AM   #1
(male)

mranxiety HB User
Enterococcus Faecalis / Prostate ?

Does anyone know how Enterococcus Faecalis bacteria could enter / infect the prostate?

How do you cure? Could it return?

Old 02-15-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
(female)

SandraG HB User
Re: Enterococcus Faecalis / Prostate ?

Hi,

I am dealing with an an enterococcus faecalis urinary tract infection right now, so I sympathize with what you're going through. Enterococcus is a bacteria that lives in our abdomen and stool, and normally causes no trouble. The problem is when it gets somewhere it's not supposed to be, like the urinary tract, and the body can't fight it off before it colonizes the area. I've read that enterococcus can also be a normal part of the prostate or it can cause prostitis. I guess it depends how much of it there is and whether or not you have symptoms.

Have you had a culture taken yet? Is that why you're asking about it?

If it's an infection, there is no way around it. You need an antibiotic. You need to get the lab that takes the culture to determine which drugs your isolate of enterococcus is sensitive to. I have a friend who had success with Levaquin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2006, 03:06 AM   #3
(male)

mranxiety HB User

Sandy:

Yes. I had a culture was done on my prostatic fluid which showed E. Faecalis. I re-tested to confirm. However, it wasn't a "full blown" infection. Anyway, my doc put me on amoxicillin for a month.. then Tequin (similar to Cipro).

I still feel very sick and I'm not sure the E. Faecalis was the cause of my symptoms / pain. I've been tested for every disease under the sun. All negative.

I have been on LOTS of antibiotics over past two years. Heavy duty ones for long periods of time. Nothing seems to help.

I was told one day by an infectious disease doctore that I had Reiter's Syndrome... then I'm told it's not Reiters by a rheumatologist. I had Helicobacter Pylori infection in 2004 and have never been the same! I think I have an autoimmune disorder... but two rheumatologists have ruled that out. I'm frustrated, confused and do not feel well.

Any thoughts?

Old 02-20-2006, 11:20 AM   #4
(female)

SandraG HB User

Gee, I wish I could be of more help. No wonder you call yourself Mr. Anxiety.

I am having my own problems with doctors and not being able to get rid of my enterococcus infection. Personally, I hate doctors. I think half the time they don't know what they're doing. I have three painful, swollen bruises on my left arm, which has a blood clot, that just sprung out of nowhere, and my dr. tells me it's nothing. I have a red streak and swelling on my foot that came out of nowhere, once again, dr. tells me not to worry!??!

Have you tried any of the prostitis Google newsgroups? You might be able to get some help there. Seems like a lot of men are dealing with enterococcus in their prostate.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:26 PM   #5
(male)

mranxiety HB User

I think I have other issues going one besides E. Faecalis. Again, no doctor (and I have been to them all) can figure it out. At this point, I think I have an autoimmune disorder, fungal infection and/or viral infection.

I've been on sooooooooooo many antibiotics I am afraid I screw up my immune system.

I'm heading to another "TOP DOCTOR" at a "TOP HOSPITAL". I hope they can figure out why I feel the way I do.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:02 AM   #6
(male)

markaussie HB User

Hi mranxiety,

I have got the exact same symptoms as you and I think I got it a similar way based on your posts on other forums and to put your mind at ease I had really no chance of it being what you were worried about on other forums - and my wife only suffers the dry eyes. This only happened to me recently about 3 months ago but as a comparison can you remember if your eyes started with photophobia and if your stomach pains came on suddenly and acutely at first then slowly became more chronic but still acute on occasions?

Best regards,
markaussie

Old 04-29-2006, 07:23 PM   #7
(male)

mranxiety HB User

Stomach pains came on sudden. I was told it was H. Pylori??

My dry eyes developed over time.

Have you taken any antibiotics?

Closed Thread