It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2006, 06:59 AM   #1
(male)

bhbest HB User
post viral symptoms from Mono and CMV??

In July of 06 I came down with what was determined to be both CMV and mono. I find it hard to believe I had mono also as I did not have any swollen glands or sore throat but my blood tests confirmed I was positive for both.
It took me what seemed like forever to recover (3-4 weeks of feeling sick and slight fever, fatigue and pain in back of legs, slight nausea) but I eventually came to feeling better after about 1 month. It has been almost 1 month since I have been feeling fine and now I have what feels like pain/ a burning sensation in back of my right leg to the side where the thigh is from when I get out of bed till nightime. One other thing I noticed after I was better was I am always cold and my temperature doesn't go above 97.8 it seems according to my thermometer. The bottom line is I cannot get comfortable it seems as soon as I get warm I start to sweat and have to cool off again. Other that that I feel pretty good except I get tired easier it seems and I lack some energy despite exercising more regularly since my illness. Is it possible I have some sort of post viral syndrome or another medical condition like thyroid problems caused by my viral infection in July?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2006, 10:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User
Re: post viral symptoms from Mono and CMV??

HI. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but for some of us, the mono symptoms never go away. My daughter is 4 and she was diagnosed at 2. She is currently having her 2nd acute bout with mono, and will randomly run fevers and feel ill regularly. I recently had my 2nd bout with mono as well, and run fevers here and there and am tired, achy, and basically have my good days and my bad days. I've been told this is rare, to have flare-ups after the initial bout with mono yet my daughter and both do. I'm hearing that you never really get rid of it and it can act up at any time. That may not be a direct answer to your question, but I'm just telling you what is going on with us.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2006, 08:23 AM   #3
(male)

bhbest HB User

I am sorry to hear you suffer still from this hideous virus but I guess I do also. It has been almost a month from what I would consider being "fully" recovered and I also have now what I believe are good and bad days and weeks for that matter. While my symptoms are no wheres near the severity of when I was sick I do get a mild sick feeling from time to time along with pain in my leg and now being cold all the time. However I have days where I feel good and have virtually no symptoms so I guess what I am going through is residual like you and your daughter. Hope it eventually subsides for all of us.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:36 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

i was dx 14 years ago. have been doing pretty good for the last couple of years but for the first 10 i would have relapses about 6 times a year. dr. told me to pay attention to how i feel and maybe i could come up with a warnig that a relapse was coming on. well it took years but what i've noticed is that i get a sore throat for no reason even though i didn't have one when i was dx. if i take it easy it is the difference between being in bed for 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:38 AM   #5
(female)

sdl1111 HB User

Just a note on this topic. It is possible to track the activity caused by mono. It is true that a mono test will be positive forever after being positive. The level of activity can be followed by the Epstein-Barr virus blood tests. Remember to tell your practitioner about your symptoms, because mono can trigger other disorders in people with a genetic predisposition that have alot of the same general symptoms.

Closed Thread