It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2006, 09:15 PM   #1
(female)

meglean HB User
MRSA and kidneys

I am almost certain I have MRSA, and am waiting for culture results to come back later this week. Early this summer, I had boils on my butt that were attributed to being spider bites. They were lanced, and healed when I started antibiotics (dioxycyclin). Since then, I have recieved 4 additional "bites", and my boyfriend recieved 3, and we thought spiders must have laid eggs in my underwear drawer (since then I bought a new dresser).

Last month I had a severe kidney infection in both kidneys that was highly resistent to most antibiotics. I was hospitalized for 6 days, and had a PICC line to administer antibiotics after leaving the hospital. This was the only way I could recieve the only antibiotic that worked (Ceftriaxone).

Now, I have a boil on my ear, and my doctors have finally admitted these can't be spider bites. I told them to test me for MRSA, and they are also doing tests for other things like HIV and other things that could cause my immune system to be compromised. However, my white blood cell is great, and I am otherwise a very healthy person with a healthy lifestyle and only one sexual partner (who is also getting these boils).

IF this is MSRA-- how come it still responds to antibiotics? What triggers its "expression" if almost 30% of the population carries this bacteria? Could the kidney infection be related to MRSA? What other things should I look out for/be careful about?

Any info would be helpful, as it seems easy to misdiagnose this. I am eager to be healthy and clear this up ASAP.

-meglean

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2006, 05:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Post Re: MRSA and kidneys

It's not unusual for boils to reoccur. Staph aureus is always present on the skin surface and can cause infection for a number of reasons. It can be due to a scratch or lowered immunity, I have often seen diabetics have problems with recurrent boils.
I don't think your problem is MRSA because you said the boils do heal.Wait and see what your culture results show.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:16 AM   #3
(female)

meglean HB User
Re: MRSA and kidneys

Well, it turns out that I do have MRSA- specifically CA-MRSA. During the past month I have done extensive research on this, and find it alarming about how little physicians seem to know about this. In my case I had every classic symptom of CA-MRSA, yet it was misdiagnosed through five infections, and lead to serious complications. CA-MRSA expresses itself in the form of recurring boils that look idenitical spider bites. CA-MRSA is more virulent than HA-MRSA and attacks healthy individuals- not only people with compromised immune systems. It is a different strain of bacteria than the MRSA commonly seem in hospitals, and has been emerging in the community since the 1980's. There has been a huge increase in outbreaks during the past 18 months.

If anyone has recurring infections that resemble spider bites (a large swollen center often surrounded by a red circle of cellulitis) I'd highly reccommend asking your doctor to get it cultured. If my infections had been cultured from the start, I could have avoided an entire summer of being sick and $13,000 in medical expenses. MRSA is also highly infectious, and I put numerous people at risk during the summer, including babies and elderly. For these people, MRSA could be potentially deadly. If my infections were treated appropriately, I would not have been infectious.

The kidney infection was an ecoli bacteria, but was directly associated to the MRSA infections due to my consistent use of antibiotics that I needed to take for the lesions. I am very frustrated at the lack of knowledge about MRSA in the medical community. MRSA is most often very treatable and this all could have been avoided.

Hope that can help someone somewhere.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
(female)

barby24592 HB User
Re: MRSA and kidneys

I was very interested to read the comment on MRSA and kidneys. One thing that caught my attention was the mention of ecoli bacteria being present. I have somebody who is very dear to me (she is one years old) who has had two neck surgeries as a results of MRSA infection. But what we could not figure out was why a secondary bacteria, namely ecoli, was present in the neck tissue as well. We thought this very odd, and no reasonable explanation can be found for it. Anybody with information, I would like to hear about it.

Closed Thread