It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
(male)

smbenson58 HB User
Re: Recently diagnosed with MRSA

Well, I had a second surgery for the MRSA in my ear canal in early August and everything was going well until two weeks ago the ear started draining more again. I just got the culture back today and the MRSA is back. I just can't seem to get rid of this. I have been on all of the antibiotics, including vancomycin, but it just keeps coming back.

I had reconstructive surgery (mastoidectomy) last November and the MRSA showed up soon thereafter. I tried many different antibiotics, both oral and IV and nothing cleared it. Then, in August, the surgeon went back in to scrape the bone and clean it out... basically a redo of the original. Now it is back and I am running out of ideas. He put me back on Zyvox (have been on this twice already) but I don't know what to do at this point.

Anyone have any good ideas?

Mike

Old 10-04-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
(female)

MomaGin HB User
Re: Recently diagnosed with MRSA

Mike,
I can only tell you from my experience with my son. My son has had 17 surgeries on his ear. He was on all differnet kinds od meds as well. What did the trick was this. He has had 3 right tympomastoectomy's. They had to fully remove his mastoid bone. Plus a piece of his skull. My son now is going on 18 years old.
What happened was this. That bacteria called MRSA, got behind things and it grew. The more they scraped and did surgery, the more it came back. MRSA was headed toward the brain so they did surgery and removed everything. My son has no chance of hearing in that ear again. There is nothing left. He also opened up his ear canal and we go to the Dr.'s every two weeks. if there is build up, the Dr. can surgically remove it, right there in the office. But, you have to understand something. each case is different. We have been fighting this disease for 17 years!!!!! My son started off with ear infections at the age od 6 months. And they have not stopped as of yet. ( age 18)
There is still some of that bacteria some where that they are missing. Plus, you do have to realize, withthe weather changing and you getting sick, it does effect your ears.
I had them do a CAT scan on the skull, brain, just to see what we were fighting with. The scan showed that it was very close tothe brain, that is why we did the surgery.
It is a long battle and very frustrating. I am not sure how old you are, but for me, as a mother, watching your child go through all of this, it was awful. I have gone days, and nights without sleeping. Up and down with my son. But, one thing I can say is, he has NEVER had a ear ache. How wierd is that?
If there is anything else I can tell you, please let me know.
Also, ALWAYS, talk with the Dr. or another Dr. My comments are on what I have experienced. Every case is different

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread