It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2006, 06:47 AM   #1
(male)

ninefingers HB User
Mono 7 weeks and counting...

It all started with a little post nasal drip on Aug 28. Had a light fever that night with a slight sore throat. I thought it would be a gone in a few days. I was so wrong. A week and a half later the fever was running 100-103, nighttime was worse but I had fever during day as well. I had a full-blown awful sore throat, the kind that you don't want to swallow your saliva.

Went to the doctor. He suspected mono. I'm 31 and married! How would I get mono? I figured it would be from all the customer contact at my job. He did a blood test and called the next day. Mono spot was positive. Liver enzymes slightly elevated. Get rest and lots of fluids.

This is when things got bad. My appetite was GONE. Fever still strong, and so tired I didn't want to get up to use bathroom. My throat got better, but I still felt very ill.

When the fever broke after 3 weeks, I was slightly relived. Went to doctor for a follow-up. The mono was attacking my liver. AST, ALT were 12 times normal. He urged me to stop taking any medicine until my liver got better. He ordered a chest x-ray and ab ulrasound. Chest x-ray clear, but ultrasound showed enlarged spleen. Eating felt awful, like the food was hanging around in my stomach. My belly hurt in the morning when I woke up and felt sore to the touch.

5 1/2 weeks- My blood test showed much lower AST, ALT levels. About 2 times normal. I have my appetite back but I seem to get nausea after I eat. I have never vomited, but sometimes feel close. Of coarse, tired feeling still there and I take short naps during the day when I can.

So now I'm at 7 weeks. I feel a bit more lucid overall, but the most troubling thing is my lymph nodes. I have a large one (about 3 cm) on the right side of my neck that came up early in the disease during my sore throat. It has not gotten any smaller. It's been about 6 weeks!

I also have a swollen area next to my breast under my armpit. I can't really pinpoint one node being very swollen, they all seem enlarged. It just looks swollen. It's been like that for about 3 weeks, no change.

I feel like I'm SLOWLY getting better, but the lingering nausea,fatigue and espically the still swollen nodes are very stressful.

Is it normal for mono suffers to have nodes swollen for so long?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2006, 07:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User
Re: Mono 7 weeks and counting...

Hi, I am 28yrs old and just got over mono about two months ago for the second time in my life. I had swollen lymph nodes for a few months and my symptoms, especially the tiredness lasted several months as well. Good luck.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:32 AM   #3
(male)

bhbest HB User

I am 39 male and was diagnosed with both CMV (a mono like virus related to mono) and Mono via blood tests in July. I was sick for a month with fever for over 3 weeks. Finally I started to feel better, the fever went away but still weak, general sick feeling, and slight nausea plagued me. I figure I was sick for almost 2 months and finally I was near 100 percent. I lost over 20 pounds, but thankfully despite several follow up tests and blood work the virus didn't affect my liver. Hang in there as the virus seems to affect people differently and to various severity and durations. Also it seems that the older you are, the worse this virus's effects and longer the duration can be.

Last edited by bhbest; 10-12-2006 at 07:33 AM.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

Just so you know, mono has nothing to do with kissing or intimate relationships. It is a virus and the "kissing disease" stuff is just an old wives tale. I had mono, and some recurrences. It can become chronic but not for everyone. My symptoms lasted a couple of months each time. There is no real treatment but I have to say that eating and sleeping enough helps. My 2 year old daughter got mono and the doc recommended letting her sleep whenever she felt like it and offering her food alot, and it really did help her recover. Also, vitamins can't hurt. I'm sure you will be over the hump soon. For me, last time I had a flare-up, I "peaked" with a high fever for a day or so and then my symptoms improved. You may feel a bit worse before you feel better but do try to take care of yourself.

Old 10-13-2006, 10:29 AM   #5
(male)

ninefingers HB User

It's nice to know you all have had similiar experiences and gotten through it. Somedays it's tough, you feel like the illness will never end. I had some better days a couple weeks back and I was making plans with friends/family only to have that day come around and I have to cancel because I feel bad again. It's depressing.

Today is good so far. I ate well with no nausea. Feel a little more awake. I know I still need to rest, though. Mono has a funny way of pulling you back down when you're getting up.

God bless!

Old 10-13-2006, 07:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

I does really stink when you cannot function normally. I have kids and a family and I could barely deal with it. On top of it all, hubby didn't help much and basically called me a hypochondriac. of course he took it back later, but it stinks regardless.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:29 PM   #7
(male)

frankeboi HB User

My twin brother has mono right now - he is 29.

He has been through a 1 week fever stage and is now suffering with headaches, neck aches horrible tiredness and nausea in the mornings.
Is there anything i can do to help him through this and speed up his recovery?

help!

Old 04-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #8
(male)

LedgerLewis HB User

Ninefingers, I'm going through the same thing myself right now. I want you to know that I understand how much this sucks because I'm going feeling it too. I never had the fever like you had it, mine went away in a weeks time but the after affects are really dragging me down. My lymph nodes are still swollen and I can't shake the fatigue and brain fog. I yawn constantly and the sleep I get never seems to be enough. It really is depressing. I have good days, where I'm not 100% but I'm feeling well enough to do things then I go back and have several bad days. Just wanted you to know that you're not alone with this.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:50 PM   #9
(female)

wildflower74 HB User

Ugh. Sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat. A very, very bad, ugly, sinking boat.

I was diagnosed w/ EBV/Mono 2 months ago and I am seriously about at my wit's end - I am so ready for this to be over. It's gotten to the point where I am depressed. Plus I'm a control freak and not being able to make myself better (or remember what someone said to me five minutes ago) is driving me nuts. However, today was a good day. First time all week I haven't felt like I was run over by a steamroller.

I have a question for y'all...I've been having some pain in my left side (below my ribs). It's not unbearable, it's more like a slow constant ache. I know spleen problems can be associated w/ mono...but I've had this so long, I feel like I am past that stage. Any ideas what this might be?

Last edited by wildflower74; 06-07-2007 at 09:51 PM.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:01 PM   #10
(female)

deasye HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninefingers View Post
It's nice to know you all have had similiar experiences and gotten through it. Somedays it's tough, you feel like the illness will never end. I had some better days a couple weeks back and I was making plans with friends/family only to have that day come around and I have to cancel because I feel bad again. It's depressing.

Today is good so far. I ate well with no nausea. Feel a little more awake. I know I still need to rest, though. Mono has a funny way of pulling you back down when you're getting up.

God bless!
I am a 45 year old female that got mono in early April and feel i have had about the same experiences as yourself. I never really had a high fever, but i run low grade fevers quite often. I notice i have a gland under my right ear that seems to bother me more than any other swollen glands. I think the fatigue is what has been getting me down the worst though. I hope you get well soon and know you are not the only one. BTW, i have had the same boyfriend for 4 years, how in the heck did i get this? I have no idea.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #11
(female)

deasye HB User

I feel ya...I am also a control freak and a single mom...as soon as i try to get up and going, it seems to push me right back in the bed....I wish they had some kind of assistance for single moms that are going through something long term like this...Any ideas...

Old 06-14-2007, 09:31 PM   #12
(female)

natalie16 HB User

i had the swollen liver thing too.poor thing ! Its a battle but keep going.beat tje glanj/mono SOLDIER ON !! keep us posted.

Closed Thread