It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2007, 09:04 PM   #1
(female)

ranran HB User
i think i may have a yeast infection but i'm not sure, help!

i dont know very much about this sort of thing, but maybe a week ago i noticed itchyness and irritation in my vagina. it sometimes hurts when i use the bathroom and theres sometimes swelling too. i am sexually active with my boyfriend so it frightened me, what if this was happening becuase maybe i caught something? so i asked my friend about it and she said it was most likely a yeast infection. so i bought this 7 day yeast infection creme to use. i've used it once so far, but i just did some research and now i think this may not be a yeast infection because the symptoms do NOT include a foul smell, but includes thick or cottage cheese-like discharge. i notice a wierd smell when i use the restroom, but i definetly have no sign of thick or cottage cheese-like discharge ... i'm so confused. idk if this could be a sign of an std, or what. i read a little bit about something called BV, i think i might possibly have this. if i do have BV, how can i know for sure? and how can i treat it?

advise is VERY much appreciated!

Last edited by ranran; 02-15-2007 at 09:08 PM.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
(female)

littlebigeyes HB User
Re: i think i may have a yeast infection but i'm not sure, help!

I would go to the doctor. They can take a sample and tell you what it is for sure. If it is not a yeast infection and you are using yeast creme, it will make it worse. I've learned it is not as easy to tell what your infection is by referring to the "classic symptoms." It could be bacterial. (Normal or acquired.) Or it could be yeast or something else. Typically the yeast infections are the cottage cheese but you never know unless you get it checked by a doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2007, 11:00 PM   #3
(female)

ranran HB User

i want to go to a doctor and get it checked out, but if i do have a disease or something that is caused somehow my any kind of sexual activity- i dont want my parents to know. i dont like hiding things from them, but i cant let my parents know i'm sexually active. is there any way i can get it checked out without them knowing?

Old 02-20-2007, 06:41 AM   #4
(female)

babyluv45 HB User

the doctor cannot tell your parents anything you tell him/her legally. so i would go get it checked out but maybe tell your parents your are going for a stomachache or something like that if they ask. but def get this checked out. it sounds like BV, but if it is an STD it can turn into something called pelvic inflammatory disease which you most likely would have to be hospitalized for and hurts A LOT. please take care, i know what its like to not want your parents to know you are sexually active.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
(female)

gesccam HB User

Calm down first things first. I get yeast infections about 3 times a year maybe more do to antibiotic use. Yeah the symtoms say the cottage cheese like discharge but, I don't ever get that eiather. I also sometimes have a foul odor smell depending how bad the yeast infection is. O.k. since you mentioned swelling do you have like open cracked skin as well? If I don't notice my yeast infections early I will develope open cracked skin in the perienial area. This is very painful and burns severely when you go to the bathroom. You can call your doctor and simply ask for a urine culture down out of the office. If it is a yeast infection it will show up in your urine. If not it won't show up. It does take several days before this severe of a yeast infection clears up. You will have alot of pain but, you must subside from sex during treatment so that you can get over the yeast infection. Otherwise you will just make it worse, and if you do half way through you can actually have it longer than you should. Cause it pulls down more yeast that are up inside. You can purchase acidophillus over the counter it is a natural bacteria that lives in the body and also found in yogurt. Or you can eat yogurt to help build back up the normal good bacteria in your body this will help clear up your yeast infection.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User

Health stores carry many anti yeast products in the women's section. You can try that along with acidophilus.

Closed Thread