It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 05:18 AM   #1
(female)

jenny38 HB User
Are you ever the same after Glandular Fever?

I had Glandular Fever about 14 years ago - well, that's when the blood test came back as positive. Other than feeling generally unwell and very lethargic I don't remember having any other major symptoms. I had just had my first baby which had been a terrible pregnancy and I just did not feel good at all. The GP kept saying it was post natal depression but I finally insisted that she ran some tests and low and behold Glandular Fever was diagnosed. I feel my health has never really recovered 100%. I certainly have lost strength in my arms and legs.

Anyway, i came down with a really sore throat 3 weeks ago and there were white spots all over tonsils and I could hardly swallow. My neck glands were enormous, hard and very sore to touch. My joints and legs were aching and I felt generally terrible. I went to GP who prescribed Penicillin V 2 x 250mg 4 times a day = (2,000mg) a day for 7 days. After a coupled of days, the throat did clear up and my joints stopped hurting. The day after I finished my course, it all came back so I phoned up and a locum prescribed the same antibiotic again for another 7 days saying that there must have still been infection there.

I phoned GP today to say that although throat feels better, it is still red and angry looking and my neck glands are still very hard and swollen. She wants me to have a blood test for Glandular Fever! I explained that I had it years ago and thought you couldn't get it again but she says she still wants me tested for it because my symptoms suggest I may have it again - is this possible?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
(female)

natalie16 HB User
Re: Are you ever the same after Glandular Fever?

I 16 and had glandular fever a few months ago..it seems as though its back again.It is hard to say if it can come back twice,my doctor told me that it might be rebooting again.Because you had it 14 years ago,it has most probably left you with some side affects.It's most likely that u have it again,only its a different virus and ur body hasn't made antibodies for this one.good luck hun! x

Old 10-30-2007, 02:49 AM   #3
(female)

nicky91 HB User

hi, im nicky, i had glandular fever at the age of 12 and i wasnt able to walk for 2 weeks. my ankles wrists had swollen and my tonsils were that huge i couldnt talk. i went to cue doc and they said that i had glandular fever. Im nearly 16 now and i still get pains in my legs, ankles, wrists and occasionally loose my voice. My doctor said that it had laid doment in my bones does that mean that ill have it for the rest of my life?? I also have thick blood and a slow heart which means i can do PE at school, ive been for alsorts of tests and im worried i might have a stroke because ive been reading some comments on the other pages. iIhavent had a stroke but i get really bad pains in my chest when i do any 'normal' exercise what-so-ever, or if anything takes me by suprise but i try to walk a little each day. Is the glandular fever and thick blood linked or just a dose of bad luck? i was perfectly healthy untill i got glandular fever
thanks

Old 04-10-2008, 04:55 AM   #4
(male)

andyw1979 HB User

I have just received blood tests back to confirm that I have glandular fever for the 2nd time, which the doctor assures me is very rare!
First time the symptons were a lot worse but got over it relatively quickly in 3-4 weeks. After that I recovered well and got back into running and football with no ill effects (although my advice would be to take it easy at first)
It was a shock especially after 2 years of good health to come down with it again, which now makes me feel it will always be there
It seems to me as though no-one seems to have any idea as to why it would come back, but a recurring theme seems to be stressful events, which in my case could be the marathon training?

Closed Thread