It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
(female)

FANNtasy3 HB User
Fifths Disease as an Adult

Hi,
This is my first time on this board. Im usually posting in the Fibromyalgia board. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with Fifths Disease as an adult. I tested positive with parvo virus B19, (Fifths Disease) 8 yrs ago. I was 32. I don't think I ever fully recovered and low and behold, 5 yrs after was diagnosed with Fibro. I do have a history of illness throughout my life, but am almost certain that the Fifths was the last straw.
Any one have any info, I would be glad to hear.
Thanx, Feel Well Folks, Felicia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2007, 12:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User
Re: Fifths Disease as an Adult

Hi, I also can be found on the fibro boards and I can relate as I also get childhood diseases that we as adults are not supposed to. When my son was 2 he got a terrible case of coxsackie viruse and as soon as he was feeling better guess what? My turn! Also when he got his flu shot this past year(at age 4) I came down with symptoms(so did he actually) so just letting you know it happens no matter what the doctors say!
Kara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wowwwweeee HB User

Hi,

Fifths Disease is also known as Human Parvo Virus B. I was exposed to it about ten years ago from two children who had it in a rehab facility where I worked. I was VERY sick with it the first year - doctors were initially baffled and kept coming at me with different diagnoses until they figured out what I had (which was diagnosed by a blood test). I did NOT have the tell-tale butterfly rash that usually accompanies this illness.

My main initial symptoms were severe (SEVERE) joint pain and swelling, an inability to walk because of the pain, and an inflammation of the lining of my lungs, which made it feel funny when I drew in breaths.

The joint pain came from the connective tissue in my joints being affected. I cannot convey to you how painful this was.

I also slept for about 18 hours per day for the first few months, and was unable to go to work. The highlight of those bad days was when my father came home from work - he would bundle me in blankets and carry me to the car so I could at least get outside and see some sunshine. We would go for a drive in the country to look for deer - it was difficult for me to hold my head up, so I rested it against the car window glass as we drove so I could see out the window.

There could be long-term affects from your exposure to this virus, however usually the long term effects are seen in people with compromised immune systems - people dealing with HIV, cancer and sickle cell anemia.

Parvo virus has many levels and "paths", so one exposure may not be as extreme as someone else's. There was another woman in the office who was exposed at the same time - her initial symptoms were as bad as mine were, however, once she passed that phase, she did not have recurrent problems. My joint flare-ups lasted for years, resulting in my having to go on a course of steroids years after my initial exposure in an effort to calm down the joint pain.

I went for weekly blood draws, as the doctors wanted to check on my blood cell count (Parvo Virus can destroy blood cells, leaving a person anemic) and probably to keep track of how fast or slow the virus was leaving my system. Eventually, those weekly draws tapered down to monthly, then yearly, and now I no longer go.

My joint pain symptoms fluctuated for about two years pretty wildly - meaning, I might have no joint symptoms for a few days, and then within a matter of hours, either the top portion of me or the bottom portion of me would start to escalate with pain and swelling. Then, the symptoms would "travel", meaning that if my arms and fingers swelled, then next it would be my knees and ankles, for example. It was difficult for others to acknowledge that I was so sick after the initial illness, because one moment I would be fine, and then the next I would be unable to do much because I was in so much pain. This went on for a number of years, with each year having less symptoms.

Parvo Virus is considered an auto-immune illness, and I personally have never heard it linked to Fibro. I believe that more studies are currently being down on Parvo, however I think in many areas it is little known - where I live, my own primary doctor was not aware of it, for example.

I hope this information helps a little. You can always contact your local teaching hospital or college, and ask to speak to someone in Infectious Diseases if you have additional questions about this virus. I obtained quite a lot of information by contacting one of the larger colleges in my area and speaking to a physician who worked directly in the lab there.

Take care and I hope you feel better. xo

Last edited by Wowwwweeee; 04-17-2007 at 04:04 PM.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

DS got it a few months ago. Basically was a little cranky, had the rash and it looked like someone slapped his cheeks. I spoke with his ID doctor at a well child appointment and he said it usually doesn't bother kids unless they have problems with low iron. It's worse for unborn fetuses -- 'cuz of developing red blood cells -- can cause miscarriage. 5th's disease in adults can cause arthritis and apparently over a period of time, the symptoms will go away.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:56 PM   #5
(female)

Dima2MeBoyo HB User

I was diagnosed with 5th disease approximately 4 1/2 years ago at 32 years of age. I researched it at that time and learned that the joint pain could recur periodically for up to 3 years. I have had joint pain nearly every day since then in one place or another. It seems to have settled mostly in my feet and wrists. Just recently I had a severe bout of pain in my feet and I took a hot bath and the ringed rash appeared on the bridges of both feet and up both legs (yes, that is 4 Ĺ years since diagnosis). The doctor diagnosed me on sight while the rash on my torso was evident, but no blood testing has been done to support that diagnosis. I didnít develop the red cheek rash first like most symptom lists describe, but I did get a mild case of red cheeks periodically and one such break out was quite recent.

I have been looking for information or cases in which the patient has recurrent outcrops of 5th disease over the course of years and have been able to find nothing; not even the information I read 4 years ago about the possibility of joint pain returning over the course of 3 years.

I have, however, found some very interesting information on Sub-acute Lupus. It is practically the same disease if you read the symptoms and I am not so certain that mine has not been mistaken for it. My ringed rash on the torso and limbs were slightly larger than those I have seen in 5th disease photos, yet smaller than those in the Sub-acute Lupus photos. The rashes themselves are remarkably similar with the exception of size. In both cases the butterfly rash on the face is listed and in each that symptom can vary in degree of severity. Lupus has Chronic Fatigue as a symptom whereas I havenít been able to find that listed as a symptom of 5th disease though I definitely suffer from it. I didnít suffer from it as badly as you seem to have, though. I could walk and all I just felt/feel sore and tired all of the time; not to mention irritable.

Regarding blood testing for the human Parvovirus. Correct me if I am wrong, but you could have the evidence of it in your system even if you have never shown symptoms symptoms of contracting it. I say this because it is possible that one could have Sub-acute Lupus and still test positive for Parvovirus. The thing about Sub-acute Lupus is that it is a rare form that usually doesnít manifest into full blown autoimmune Lupus where your body turns on itself and places your vital organs in danger.

Long story short I am currently compiling a list of necessary tests I want my doctor to order. This list includes both of these diseases, as well as hypothyroid, and Adrenal Fatigue. If those tests come back showing that I have only had 5th disease I am going to look into the possibilities of hormonal imbalance or Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I say this in fear that I may be suffering from more than one ailment since I have found no documentation supporting 5th disease as being this severe. Do you have any sites or further research on 5th disease that addresses these issues? If so please respond with that information so that I may look into it.

Thanks.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

NMNancy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dima2MeBoyo View Post
I was diagnosed with 5th disease approximately 4 1/2 years ago at 32 years of age. I researched it at that time and learned that the joint pain could recur periodically for up to 3 years. I have had joint pain nearly every day since then in one place or another. It seems to have settled mostly in my feet and wrists. Just recently I had a severe bout of pain in my feet and I took a hot bath and the ringed rash appeared on the bridges of both feet and up both legs (yes, that is 4 Ĺ years since diagnosis). The doctor diagnosed me on sight while the rash on my torso was evident, but no blood testing has been done to support that diagnosis. I didnít develop the red cheek rash first like most symptom lists describe, but I did get a mild case of red cheeks periodically and one such break out was quite recent.

I have been looking for information or cases in which the patient has recurrent outcrops of 5th disease over the course of years and have been able to find nothing; not even the information I read 4 years ago about the possibility of joint pain returning over the course of 3 years.

I have, however, found some very interesting information on Sub-acute Lupus. It is practically the same disease if you read the symptoms and I am not so certain that mine has not been mistaken for it. My ringed rash on the torso and limbs were slightly larger than those I have seen in 5th disease photos, yet smaller than those in the Sub-acute Lupus photos. The rashes themselves are remarkably similar with the exception of size. In both cases the butterfly rash on the face is listed and in each that symptom can vary in degree of severity. Lupus has Chronic Fatigue as a symptom whereas I havenít been able to find that listed as a symptom of 5th disease though I definitely suffer from it. I didnít suffer from it as badly as you seem to have, though. I could walk and all I just felt/feel sore and tired all of the time; not to mention irritable.

Regarding blood testing for the human Parvovirus. Correct me if I am wrong, but you could have the evidence of it in your system even if you have never shown symptoms symptoms of contracting it. I say this because it is possible that one could have Sub-acute Lupus and still test positive for Parvovirus. The thing about Sub-acute Lupus is that it is a rare form that usually doesnít manifest into full blown autoimmune Lupus where your body turns on itself and places your vital organs in danger.

Long story short I am currently compiling a list of necessary tests I want my doctor to order. This list includes both of these diseases, as well as hypothyroid, and Adrenal Fatigue. If those tests come back showing that I have only had 5th disease I am going to look into the possibilities of hormonal imbalance or Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I say this in fear that I may be suffering from more than one ailment since I have found no documentation supporting 5th disease as being this severe. Do you have any sites or further research on 5th disease that addresses these issues? If so please respond with that information so that I may look into it.

Thanks.
I went through almost the same thing starting in 2007 and I am now 32 and finally went to this doctor that was highly recommended to me....He did some extensive DNA Bandwidth Blood Test on me and it revealed that I have had Lymes Disease this entire time. I highly suggest you ask the doctor not to just do the ELISA, but also the WESTERN BLOT test and after that, get a more extensive test done that will break the bloodwork into bandwidths of the Lymes disease....I am gaurantee you that you will find Lymes or some co-infector of Lymes in your bloodwork. Best of luck...

Old 05-31-2007, 08:56 PM   #7
(female)

Staar80 HB User

can u guy give me info on some of the long term symptoms of 5th disease??? i have been sick for 10 months, some dr's thought it was HIV, but tested negative for it out to 8 months, CDC says 3 is conclusive.

my symptoms are low-grade fevers, red rash on face, back and chest, swollen gland, oral/throat mucosal disease, and there was a severe viral like illness lasting 3 months or more.

Closed Thread