It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007, 07:08 AM   #1
(female)

myhearthurts HB User
Staph infection from an iv at a hospital?

I was hospitalized this tuesday (4/24) to have facet joint injections in my neck. They put an IV in my hand, but stuck a tiny need in it and injected my with something 1st. It felt like my hand " was blowing up like a balloon". I guess it was to see my veins but they never did that before.....anyway. I had some dark bruisinf like normal (since I am anemic). But my concern is that the nurse started the iv by letting the IV line by hanging into a trash can in the storage room they shoved me in....Well the dark bruising is almost gone but early yesterday morning I woke up and had a bright maroon spot on my hand ( alittle bigger than the size of a quarter) 3 inches from where the needle was and now today I have 3 more dime size rashes....Could this be fresh blood, or my blood not clotting... my mother thinks an infection like staph since that hand is hot to the touch and the arm is cold (both hands are usually cold)...any suggestions

thanks
mel
oh, also the anesthesia they gave me felt like it was burning my veins all the way up to my heart (until I fell asleep from it)

Old 07-17-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
(female)

lainewh HB User
Re: Staph infection from an iv at a hospital?

Were you under heavy sedation or something? Why in G-D's name would you let the nurse put that IV in your arm after she did that? You have to look out for yourself. Congratulations, you now have MrSA! Hopefully you'll be able to get rid of it with a round of Doxicyclin. Hopefully you won't end up like me-suffering from my fourth case of MrSA since January. I was in the hospital (I went to the hospital for MrSA, I didn't get it there) the end of June and the beginning of July in isolation getting IV Vancomycin to try to get rid of the MrSA in my grapefruit sized foot. I got out of the hospital July 3rd. Today, if I am on my feet for more than an hour, my foot swells up and I have to lie down with my foot above my heart. Now I also have CDEF from the antibiotics having killed of all of the good bacteria in my digestive track. MrSA is showing back up on my face (that's where it was the first 3 times). I am now seeing an infectious disease doctor, taking baths in clorohexadrine or something twice a day, changing sheets each time, and I can't go out to the barn to see my horse. My temp, which is usually 97.0, hasn't gone below 100.0 in days, and I never get fevers-even though I get sick all of the time. Major nerves in my back are now messed up from always having to be lying down-pain shoots down my back to my toes on each foot and to my fingers on each hand. It feels like there are little people inside my joints stabbing them with hot knives. The worst part is there is no sore on my foot-there never has been-there was just a tiny, tiny dot of a bug bite that my mother claims to have seen. That means there's no way to get the stuff that's making my foot swell out of my foot!

How could you let someoen do that to you? Even if you don't know about MrSA and things like it-it's a trashcan, and a storage room is not a steril environment. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way saying you deserve MrSA-I'm not. It's like when people nearly get in an accident-I mean they barely miss being hit, their passenger comments on it, and the driver says "Well, it would have been the other guy's fault anyways." So? Just because it was someone else screwing up doesn't mean you wouldn't get just as hurt as you would have if it had been you screwing up. There would still be damage. The only difference is that while you're laid up in your sick bed, you can sue. You can't just sit there and say, "Well, if something goes wrong, it's her fault."

The lecture is over. Go see a doctor and tell them you have MrSA. Wash your hands, everythign with antibacterial soap.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread