It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
(female)

terri61 HB User
mrsa staph infection

Is this disease fatal?

Old 10-07-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User
Re: mrsa staph infection

My Mom had it in nursing home last yr & she's still here at 94!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
(female)

aspidites HB User

This can be and has been fatal. But if it is caught in time, there are new "trial" antibiotics that have been successful.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:33 PM   #4
(female)

needInfoTN HB User

I've had folliculitis which was said to contain staph back in the spring. Now I have what looked like a mesquito byte under my arm and my lymph glands are swollen. I began to have chest pain radiating from the bump which had a red ring around it. With heat, hydrogen-peroxide, alcohol and a needle, it opened and drained. I went to the doctor. He gave me Bactrim DS 800/160 and doxycycline hyclate 1000mg. Each 2x day, 10 days. I started this yesterday. Symtoms started over the weekend. Joint pain all over, then tired, then chest pain when I noticed the bump. Could this be staph? Is it normal to have several lymph glands swollen in response? Is this medicine appropriate? Should there be any tests to pre-empt complications? Background -f44-EBV, OA since Jr High, joints in fingures have begun to show new bone lumps, have been on Celebrex 400mg/dy for several years now. I appreciate any info, background, referral someone can provide.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:16 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

To the original poster, my brother was recently diagnosed with MRSA and put on 8 weeks of oral Biaxin. He is suppose to have a nasal swab in a few weeks to test whether there is still any signs of Staph in his system. From what I have read (and heard from my brother), MRSA is quite treatable if treated in it's initial stages. If not, it will go into the bones and eventually into the bloodstream causing a systemic sepsis (infection). So it is quite important that you have it treated as soon as any symptoms appear. Otherwise it could be fatal. Also, from my understanding, MRSA can remain dormant and re-emerge months or years later. Stress seems to play a role in that occuring.

NeedInfoTN ~ My brother started out with boils under his arms that got larger and involved his lymph nodes as well. The doctor drained them and cut out the surrounding tissue and packed them until they healed. I think that he also had some joint pain while on the antibiotics but it might be a good idea if you mention this to your doctor. It also might be wise if the doctor did a culture to check for MRSA....the infection usually occurs after being in a hospital for surgery or sometimes in gyms or physical activity that involves contact with sweat and other people's skin. Don't be afraid to go back to the doctor to be checked out....MRSA is definitely not something to be taken lightly.

Good luck to both of you ~ Goody

Old 10-17-2007, 03:47 PM   #6
(female)

jxn790 HB User

hi my baby of 20 months after having a heart surgury had been diagnosed with mrsa, the doctor says it is in her blood and has put her on some antibiotics called vancamicin does anyone have any information about how serious my daughters situation is please

Closed Thread