It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
(female)

mojo61 HB User
staph infections

My mother has a sore on her leg with redness around it. (She had surgery recently to burn out vercose veins.) It was full of puss also and she had a fevor. Now she has pain in her back, which she thinks it might be a bladder infection. My question is, how would she know if it is staph? Do you think it is spreading to other parts of her body?

Old 11-12-2007, 10:08 PM   #2
(male)

wife53 HB User
Re: staph infections

my husband had a cut o his arm, 4 weeks later with back pain and ended in staph infection and now has osteomyelitis. Have your mom checked by doctor with 2 blood cultures taken from two sites. His pain was horrific and 105 degree temp. It took three emergency rooms to diagnose him

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
(male)

wife53 HB User

your mom needs to get to a doctor quickly and have blood cultures to see if she has an infection.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
(female)

horseygirl14 HB User

I agree that she should get checked out asap. My husband had an experience with a staf infection that started out with just a pain in his shoulder blade. He ended up in the hospital for 10 days and on iv antibiotics for 6 weeks after having surgery to remove an abscess in his back. You don't fool around with staph. She has classic symptoms - a sore with redness and pus.

Good luck and let us know how she is doing.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
(female)

WednesdaysChild HB User

The only way to determine if you have a staphylococcal infection is for your physician to take samples of the pus and have it sent to the lab for analysis. Many bugs can cause infection and each species and strain has its own antibiotic treatment which can only be determined by the micro lab. Having the testing done faster is better because treatment can start sooner.

Closed Thread