It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
(female)

sharpscissors HB User
how to know if you still have mrsa after taking antibiotics

Old 11-14-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User
Re: how to know if you still have mrsa after taking antibiotics

I am not an expert on MRSA by any means, but I did have MSSA last year. My infectious disease dr told me that because I had it in my bone, it would never actually go away. It would always lay dormant and may come back months or even years after you stop the antibiotics.
The infectious disease dr did bloodwork each week when I came in for refills on my antibiotics. They said that once my white blood cell count reached a certain level, they could determine the infection was no longer active in my body.
Again, I a not an expert. All I can really do is share my experience with you in hopes that it helps. If I were you, I would definitely sit down with an infectious disease dr and ask them all the questions you can think of.
Hope this helps!
Step

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 10:30 PM   #3
(female)

jellybean3009 HB Userjellybean3009 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpscissors View Post
sharpscissors, I would like to know also.
I wonder what tests can be made to see if you still have it?
Did you have MRSA? I did, had surgery (abscess drained in breast) took two weeks of antibiotics and am STILL tired and worn out!

Old 11-14-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepbystep89 View Post
I am not an expert on MRSA by any means, but I did have MSSA last year. My infectious disease dr told me that because I had it in my bone, it would never actually go away. It would always lay dormant and may come back months or even years after you stop the antibiotics.
The infectious disease dr did bloodwork each week when I came in for refills on my antibiotics. They said that once my white blood cell count reached a certain level, they could determine the infection was no longer active in my body.
Again, I a not an expert. All I can really do is share my experience with you in hopes that it helps. If I were you, I would definitely sit down with an infectious disease dr and ask them all the questions you can think of.
Hope this helps!
Step
How long did it take you to regain your energy after having MRSA?
How long did you have to take antibiotics?

Old 11-15-2007, 10:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

I did not have MRSA, but I did have MSSA. They are both staph infections, but the one I had responds to strong antibiotics.
I was on the antibiotics for about 8 weeks. I had a pic line in my arm and injected them through that for the full 8 weeks. Each week I went to the ID Dr office for refills and to have my blood checked. They also made sure my kidneys were doing ok since the antibiotics were very strong.
It took a very long time for my energy level to return. I was laid up for 3 months total due to the ankle fusion surgery and the staph infection. My dr told me for every day I was down it would take 4 to feel back to normal again. I have to say that is how it went for me. Once I hit a year from the day my saga started I really began feeling normal again.
Are you seeing an infectious disease dr?

Old 11-15-2007, 03:42 PM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepbystep89 View Post
I did not have MRSA, but I did have MSSA. They are both staph infections, but the one I had responds to strong antibiotics.
I was on the antibiotics for about 8 weeks. I had a pic line in my arm and injected them through that for the full 8 weeks. Each week I went to the ID Dr office for refills and to have my blood checked. They also made sure my kidneys were doing ok since the antibiotics were very strong.
It took a very long time for my energy level to return. I was laid up for 3 months total due to the ankle fusion surgery and the staph infection. My dr told me for every day I was down it would take 4 to feel back to normal again. I have to say that is how it went for me. Once I hit a year from the day my saga started I really began feeling normal again.
Are you seeing an infectious disease dr?
No, I'm not seeing an infectious disease dr yet but I am planning to ask my internist for a referral tomorrow. The dr who discovered I had MRSA was my surgeon AFTER surgery. I went to him with what I thought to be a boil on my breast. In fact, I went to two different surgeons and both mis-diagnosed my problem. They both thought it was only an abscess and the 2nd one scheduled me for surgery to drain it. Two days later he phoned me and said the lab results showed MRSA. He also said my blood was low and put me on iron pills for a couple of months. I really don't know how long I have had this but I do know I've been awfully tired for a long time.

Closed Thread