It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
(male)

CHANDLER12 HB User
Night sweats

My 15 year old son has been having night sweats since November 07. It all started on 11/9/07 when he got sick with a 104 degree temperture with flucuated. He was hopitalized and they couldn't come up with anything except a colonoscopy since his colon was swollen probably from the diareah that he had when he got sick on 11/9. That turned out to be fine. After going back and forth to the emergency room and pediatrician, she finally referred me to an infectious disease doctor, who told me to keep a log of the night sweats and come back in 3 weeks which we did, but this time we saw another ID doctor that immediatly saw that he had a sinus infection. My son got a CT scan and sure enough he had a sinus infection. He was put on antibiotics for 3 weeks with the night sweats continuing. He has been off the antibiotics for about 3 weeks now. Then we were sent to an Immunologist who couldn't find anything, then referred to a Rheumatologist who ordered a total body bone scan because my son was complaining of his right calf hurting and his knuckles. They didn't see anything with the calf but pick up something going on with his femur. She ordered x-rays for the femur which they called non-fossifying tumor. I was then referred to a orthopedic surgeon which we saw today, he said that the femor looked fine but he ordered a MRI for the distol on the right leg. Through all of this the many lab works show that his CED rate is high and so is the CRP which is the protein I think that is right. It is so upsetting that it seems nobody knows why my son is having night sweats. I am almost hoping that he has osteomylitis, at least I can put a name to whatever is going on in his body. IF SOME IS GOING THROUGH SOMETHING SIMULAR PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2008, 12:24 PM   #2
(male)

Sisyphus3 HB User
Exclamation Re: Night sweats

The night sweats that I had when I was 18 (and which continued for years) I attribute to what was termed at the time a "mono mimic" ... now I believe it to have been HHV-6 ... which is indeed a "mono mimic". You might also want to look into CMV.

I had night sweats a year ago with what I believe to have been Q fever.

The only other thing I can think of for them to look at is chlamydia pneumoniae ... did he have any respiratory symptoms? That one will, I believe, give you a high c reactive protein, and if you leave it alone I believe it is also a major cause of atherosclerosis (heart disease, etc.).

Last edited by Sisyphus3; 02-10-2008 at 04:45 PM.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
(male)

Sisyphus3 HB User
Re: Night sweats

I'll also note that for me "growing pains" type discomfort in my calf are a sign of a bacterial infection of some sort. If I have them, I can predict that I'm going down with something.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:20 AM   #4
(male)

Sisyphus3 HB User

If they're still stuck for a diagnosis, maybe they can test him with the Greenechip?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User

Hi,
Isn't it frustrating when they cannot find what is wrong with your son. High protine is a sign of diabitis but also have they tested his adrenial glands-to make sure they are working properly and his thyroid levels, is there a Childrens hospital close to you? I have had some pretty rare sickness with my kids-Childrens hospital has always figured out what the problems was. We have had endocarditis, addison's disease, reflux of the kidneys and my son went to france-can back with a parasite from the water, my other son went to Washinton DC for a 8th grade graduation trip-can back with TB, Childrens hospital figured it all out, I recommend them highly.
Karen W.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
(female)

topsy123 HB User

CHANDLER12
Hi, its only a thought, but you checked your son out for Lymes disease...Night sweats, was the alarm bell when I read it?...........Sorry can't help anymore, good luck......Topsy123

Closed Thread