It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2003, 07:20 PM   #1

Renrut HB User
Question reactive leukocytosis?

Can anyone tell me if reactive leukocytosis (increase white blood cells seen,with a myeloid predominence) and mild normocytic anemia with no other abnormalities in the bone marrow biopsy seen(specimen too dilute for cell count)definately excludes a malignant cause for the abnormal findings? I've had some testing for an infectious cause and although these are suggestive of a possibility, they, along with my symptoms, are also suggestive of inflammatory disease and cancers. (persistent elevated sedrates; intermittent ele. CRP; persistent mildly ele. WBC; Chronic fevers; night sweats; increasing in duration and area of rt. side ab pain; terrible bone pain, esp. bad at night; peripheral neuropathy,interm. rashes, etc) CT scans show normal except for multiple spinal problems ie arachnoiditis and marked stenosis, including where I once had osteomyelitis and have instrumentation. I have had bone scans and tracer scans several yrs. ago to see if the staph was still there or around the instrumentation, but these came back negative. However, my symptoms have greatly increased since these. Does anyone have any ideas of where I should go from here? Thanks.

Old 08-06-2003, 08:12 PM   #2
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Renrut:
[B]Can anyone tell me if reactive leukocytosis (increase white blood cells seen,with a myeloid predominence) and mild normocytic anemia with no other abnormalities in the bone marrow biopsy seen(specimen too dilute for cell count)definately excludes a malignant cause for the abnormal findings?
No...it doesn't exclude normal findings, though it is encouraging. The reason it doesn't exclude abnormal stuff in this case is because of all of the clinical stuff to the contrary.
Quote:
I've had some testing for an infectious cause and although these are suggestive of a possibility, they, along with my symptoms, are also suggestive of inflammatory disease and cancers. (persistent elevated sedrates; intermittent ele. CRP; persistent mildly ele. WBC; Chronic fevers; night sweats; increasing in duration and area of rt. side ab pain; terrible bone pain, esp. bad at night; peripheral neuropathy,interm. rashes, etc) CT scans show normal except for multiple spinal problems ie arachnoiditis and marked stenosis, including where I once had osteomyelitis and have instrumentation. I have had bone scans and tracer scans several yrs. ago to see if the staph was still there or around the instrumentation, but these came back negative. However, my symptoms have greatly increased since these. Does anyone have any ideas of where I should go from here? Thanks.
My only suggestion is to see a hematologist which is seems like you've already done.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2003, 06:07 AM   #3

Renrut HB User
Thanks for your reply projapoti. No, I haven't seen a hematologist.My regular doc has ordered the tests, and the results I got from him via the reports from the tests. Can one actually make an appointment with a hematologist?

Closed Thread