It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2003, 10:02 AM   #1
(female)

horizon697 HB User
Question Staph Infection

I have never had a staph infection or had to deal with one before, so I am really concerned about this. Everyone I know keeps saying "Wow, you can die from that" and it only increases my anxiety about it. I started with a bite that turned into a boil about 2 weeks ago. I treated that one at home, with draw out salve and hot compresses, and did mess with it some, because it hurt so much. I just wanted to get all of the stuff out. That one had the head come out and it was starting to clear up, but I noticed some little red bumps beside it, like where the tape was for the gauze I had over it. I thought they were just heat bumps. This was about a week after I first got the boil. Then more bumps started appearing and they turned hard like the first one, so I went the doctor this last wednesday. She said I had a staph infection, and that it was systemic and traveling down my leg, but I wasn't running any fever, so that was a good thing. I have a hard time taking strong antibiotics, but she wanted me to take Avelox (quinolone) for a few days at least, to knock out most of the infection if possible. I took it wed, thurs, and friday afternoon, but I can not tolerate it, so I am getting the prescription of Keflex filled that she gave me in case I couldn't handle the Avelox. I am really concerned that I may not get this cleared up, and it will get worse. Has anyone else had to deal with these, and how bad could this get, even with me taking antibiotics? Thanks so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2003, 02:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
I had a boil on my side as big as a baseball . It was so hard painfull and red. It would not drain on its own. My lymph nodes in my groin were really swollen so I knew it must be really infected.

I went ot the Dr. and was put on antibiotis and had to have surgery to cut out the boil. It was also a staph infection. It all cleared up and a month later I got another one that went away on its own.

Keep taking your antibiotics and it will go away. Staph is everywhere. You don't have the real bad kind where it actually eats away at our skin. This was my fear with mine and my Dr. said it was not that kind.

Good luck

Old 10-07-2003, 06:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User
Hi I have had a staph infection from boils twice. Mine started spreading like yours. Did your doctor do a culture to see which antibiotics will work? This is very important. Both times I was prescribed antibiotics (Keflex was one of them) and they were not sensitive. I found out when the lab report came back and then I was prescribed the proper antibiotics. My brother and my dad have had the same thing. Sometimes you don't need the antibiotics because it goes away on its own. I would recommend taking them just incase.

Old 10-12-2003, 10:43 PM   #4

rubindj HB User
As of now, all staff is sustable to Avelox, and since regions of the country differ, in her region Keflex may have that same advantage.

If it continues to get worse, go back to your doctor. Do not pass go, do not wait out the weekend, do not go to work. This is a very serious infection, and kills tens of thousands of people every year. You have a early version of it, are realively healthy, and shouldn't have an issue; however, if you wake up and its grown twice as large even with the antibiotics it needs to be treated now and not 12 hours from now.

Old 10-28-2003, 01:52 PM   #5
(female)

horizon697 HB User
Question

Thanks for all the advice. Those did indeed heal up well with the 3 days of Avelox and the 7 days of Keflex. I still have some purplish color where the 2 bad ones were, but the doctor said that will fade over time. However, this past weekend, 2 weeks after all of that cleared up, I got two more small bumps close to where the others had been. One started to feel a little tender, so I put salve on it and it went away (had a tiny amount of whitish pus come out, like what comes out of a pimple or ingrown hair) in 2 days. The second one just started feeling tender yesterday morning and hurts a bit more than the other did, but not near as bad as the boils I had at the first of the month. I am concerned that maybe all of the staph infection did not clear up? The doctor says it did, with the antibiotics I took, and that she doesn't think this is a reinfection. I am supposed to put the draw out salve on it and hot compresses to see if it comes out. It is reddish only, and does not have the purplish color with it like the boils I had did when they started rising up. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Old 11-10-2003, 09:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User
A systemic Staph infection should be treated with iv antibiotics, because you can not get high enough blood levels of the antibiotic.

I had Staph boils all over my body several years ago and you must apply a heating pad to each boil until it comes to a head and then drain out the pus by squeezing on the boil.

A systemic Staph infection is a serious infection and has the potential to be fatal.

If the Staph is not meticillin ressistent, the drug of choice is nafcillin. If it is methicillin resistent the drug of choice is iv vancomycin.

See your doctor right away.

Bruce
Retired microbiologist

Old 11-11-2003, 04:33 AM   #7
Inactive

docrum HB User
there's usually no need to express pus and there are some area where you should not squeeze boils because of the potentially serious consequences

sometimes using creams to eliminate Staph up the nose can be helpful too

Last edited by docrum; 11-11-2003 at 04:34 AM. Reason: addition

Old 11-11-2003, 08:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User
I treated my staph boils at home and draining a boil is an important part of the treatment. Staph aureus produces coagulase which forms the barrier the antibiotic has troublle reaching the staph.

APpplication of the heating pad was rercommended and the boils quickly popped open and as much as two ml of pus drained out.

A clogged drainage tube from a surgical incision will quickly get infected.

Bruce

Old 11-11-2003, 08:45 AM   #9
Inactive

docrum HB User
coagulase is why Staph doesn't spread. that's why bursting boils is bad as it then spreads the bacteria into the tissues. would you burst a spot in the middle third of the face, Bruce?

Old 11-11-2003, 09:21 AM   #10

pandagirl HB User
What a pleasant conversation - whether or not to burst boils

I have heard both trains of thought. Obviously, if you drain the boil you are releasing a concentrated growth of staph (better out than in!) However, you may result in causing the boil to burst inwards, thus releasing the staph and associated toxins into the tissues and the bloodstream.

Old 11-11-2003, 10:54 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User
I did omit the facial part of the body as a site i wouldn't drain, however, a coagulase positive staph clotts human plasma and does not spread the staph.

Draining a staph boil not on the face does not spread the infection. I am living proof of that.

Bruce

Old 01-31-2005, 04:18 PM   #12
(female)

telesquirt HB User
Re: Staph Infection

I don't know if what i have is staph but i'm really scared that it is. Yes, I have been messing with it some while it was tiny, thinking it was just a zit i could pop. But then it grew into this giant mound on my leg. I showed it to my mom and she put some neosporin or something on it after some hydrogen peroxide. She thinks it may be a bite. But I think the worst, which is bad i know. Its pinkish but not completely red. The mound is huge. I'm really scared and wanted to know some of you all's opinions. (If it gets worse, I am going to see a doctor)

thanks

Old 01-02-2006, 12:58 PM   #13
(male)

wowzers HB User

So what if a staff infection isn't touched at all and goes away on its own? Should you be worried of future problems with staff, is the infection still in your body, or is it probably finished running it's course? You hear "go to the doc if you have a staff infection" but I had one a few weeks ago that I didn't see the doctor about, and I'm just now hearing from people that I should have. So if the visible infection is gone, does that mean I'm okay? I didn't burst it or anything, and I haven't had another one since. I thought it was a pimple for the longest time until I saw a picture of a staff infection recently, and that's exactly what I had. Of course it was gone by then.

Last edited by wowzers; 01-02-2006 at 12:59 PM.

Old 05-18-2006, 05:24 PM   #14
(female)

lala90025 HB User

Thank you to all who have posted on this thread. I think that I learned more here than from my doc. I had no idea what a boyle actually was until early this week. Can anyone tell me the life cylce for these? I was prescribed Keflex & Bactroban and still itch. They look like cigarette burns right now. Two have scabs, two are constantly peeling and the rest are just flat red rings with "white" in the middle (but they aren't blisters or popable as others have described on here). Also, I work in a small office, and have been advised to work from home. How contagious are these? I read somewhere that it can live on an inanimate object for up to three days. True?
THANK YOU!

Old 06-15-2006, 07:58 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

mystic_star HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce
A systemic Staph infection should be treated with iv antibiotics, because you can not get high enough blood levels of the antibiotic.

I had Staph boils all over my body several years ago and you must apply a heating pad to each boil until it comes to a head and then drain out the pus by squeezing on the boil.

A systemic Staph infection is a serious infection and has the potential to be fatal.

If the Staph is not meticillin ressistent, the drug of choice is nafcillin. If it is methicillin resistent the drug of choice is iv vancomycin.

See your doctor right away.

Bruce
Retired microbiologist
Hi Bruce! I wanted to ask you (since you are a microbiologist) what exactly is "flesh eating disease"?? We had a case of that in a nearby county just recently and the woman died! Is that a staph infection? If so, is it treatable if you get it?

Closed Thread