It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 01:23 AM   #1
(male)

manzoorkhas HB User
advance treatment malaria

How i protect me from malaria disease brief intro:

Last edited by manzoorkhas; 10-10-2008 at 01:25 AM. Reason: rong spell

Old 10-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: advance treatment malaria

Hi there, this is an excellent question. Depending on which area you are going to, the best way to protect yourself from Malaria is to minimize the number of mosquito bites you get at night time. This includes using mosquito repellants containing DEET as well as sleeping with mosquito nets.

The second thing is using malarial prophylaxis pills. There are a number of regimens available each of which has its ups and downs.

One of the most common is mefloquine. This pill is taken once a week starting two weeks before the trip, weekly while you're in the area and then weekly for two weeks upon returning home. The weekly dosing is nice, and mefloquine is very active against even the most resistant strains of malaria; however, there can be weird psychiatric side-effects such as hallucinations and even worsening of existing depression in certain people. Mefloquine should NOT be used if you are going near the Thailand/Burma/Vietnam border areas, or to Papua New Guinea as mefloquine resistance has been seen.

Doxycycline: This is a once a day drug that is taken a few days before going, every day while you're there and I believe for abut 4 weeks after you come back. It's nice if you're going to Africa because it's active against malaria, but also certain rickettsial diseases which are one of the three most common travel-associated infections in Africa.

Malarone (Atovaquone/Proguanil) this drug is nice because there are almost no side-effects, it is started two days before the trip, every day while you're there, and then only two days after you get back. The drawback to this drug is cost as it is very expensive if you don't have a drug plan.

Chloroquine itself can also be used for prophylaxis, though most places in the world have chloroquine resistance, and it's not the best idea to use it in this case.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #3
(male)

manzoorkhas HB User

thanks cgranolomatis for brief intro

Old 10-11-2008, 12:50 AM   #4
(male)

manzoorkhas HB User

I live in village. there of lot of mosquitoes bites us every night. 4 cases are dicovered posetive in my home. So i request you to kindly me advance treatement of malaria, tell me and advice me which durgs should i taken which safe and no side effect . my children are under age 2years to 16 years old brief intro of dose should we taken . thanks

Old 10-11-2008, 05:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

Well, if you live in Pakistan--where malaria is endemic--it's kind of hard to prevent malaria other than avoiding mosquito bites. You can't take the malaria medication every day of your life. Additionally, for people like you who actually live in a malaria endemic area, you end up developing partial immunity to it. So even if you are exposed to malaria, you won't get as sick as someone who has never been exposed.

Closed Thread