It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
(male)

iefbr14 HB User
Fever is the only symptom

For nearly three days, I have had a fever - reduced with acetaminophen - ranging from 99.5 to 102.6. Ordinarily I'd think flu, but there's no coughing; no sore throat; no stomach upset; and only a slight weakness and VERY slight background-type headache.

I've scoured my mind for every possible cause - 16 hours prior to the onset of fever I was stung by some insect on the ground while mowing the yard, likely a wasp - my finger swelled for a few hours but now the wound is barely visible; I've suspected Lyme because I've hiked in TN, AL, and AR during the past three weeks (and pulled a tick off in Arkansas) - but Lyme is very rare there, plus these are not SEVERE flu symptoms. !

Right now I'm tracking the fever. But I so rarely get sick, I'm unacquainted with the medical community and don't want to randomly choose a quack. (Been to a doctor just once in four years - for a severe case of poison ivy.) Besides that I don't have insurance since being laid off 11 months ago. If something so simple as a round of antibiotics will likely fix it, I'll go to the clinic.

Ideas??

Old 10-10-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: Fever is the only symptom

It still sounds viral....viral infections don't have to present with the symptoms you've mentioned. Generally these things go away within 7-10 days, but if you find that after even 2 weeks your fever is still there, then you should seek medical attention. Additionally, if a doctor gives you antibiotics for the symptoms you describe, it would be poor practice. You don't have any localizing symptoms, and this is not a situation where empiric antiobiotics would be a good idea.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2008, 07:59 AM   #3
(male)

iefbr14 HB User

Thanks for the reply - I appreciate it!

Old 10-11-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

I had the same thing a month ago. Strangest thing, as appetite was pretty normal, I didn't feel "sick" other than that darn fever and the exhaustion from that. It took me about a week to feel normal again.

Closed Thread