It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
(female)

jesseca HB Userjesseca HB User
Question my daughters story Viral meningitis Enephalitis

My Daughter was 21years old and taken by ambulance to the er on Nov. 17 2006for seziures which she never had before. The er doctor did some blood work and X_RAY said he was sure it was not meningitis diagonised her with seziure disorder and released her. The next day I took her to the local clinic as she was not getting any better. The Dr. there reviewed her hospital chart did some blood work said her white count was still high but not meningitis gave her a shot for her head ach and a shot for vomiting and released her. That night she again went by ambulance to another ER where a lumbar puncture was performed and tested possitive for viral meningitis as well as herpes simplex enechalphitis. She started to respond to the medication but on Nov.22 2006 she went into cardiac arrest and life support was withdrawn the following day. Is there a time of treatment for this disease? And is there a protocol for some one who exhibits these symptems to be followed. I dont understand why a lumbar puncture was not performed sooner. Please help me find these answers
Missing My Daughter

Old 10-16-2008, 05:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: my daughters story Viral meningitis Enephalitis

Hi Jesseca,

I am deeply sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter. It sounds like she went through quite an ordeal prior to hear passing.

Herpes Simplex encephalitis is usually an easy diagnosis to make, usually, when it presents classically. Usually patients who have herpes encephalitis (hereby known as HE) present first with personality changes and confusion, and it tends to come on within a few days. There may be an active herpes infection somewhere on the body, but often there is nothing. In the case of a young person present with confusion and personality changes, an LP and MRI are often done as both of them can lend to the diagnosis. The MRI classically shows inflammation in one or both temporal lobes and the LP often shows a large number of red blood cells and a "PCR" test for Herpes Simplex is often positive.

In your daughter's case, was she confused or acting weirdly before her seizure happened? The problem in your daughter's case is that, having a seizure for the first time, in the ABSENCE of a mass lesion in the brain, usually is the onset of a seizure disorder when the person presenting is young like your daughter was. AFTER her seizure did you notice her acting weird or being really drowsy? Did she have a fever at all?

In terms of meningitis, encephalitis or meningoencephalitis (as in the case of HE) you can NOT rule out the diagnosis with an x-ray or a CT scan or an MRI. You must do an LP; however, the first doctor probably didn't think this was meningitis because her symptoms at the time didn't suggest it (i.e. fever, stiff neck, decreased level of consciousness).

HE is normally treated with intravenous acyclovir for 14 to 21 days depending on the clinical response.

Did the doctors ever tell you why they thought your daughter had a cardiac arrest?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgranulomatis View Post
Hi Jesseca,

I am deeply sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter. It sounds like she went through quite an ordeal prior to hear passing.

Herpes Simplex encephalitis is usually an easy diagnosis to make, usually, when it presents classically. Usually patients who have herpes encephalitis (hereby known as HE) present first with personality changes and confusion, and it tends to come on within a few days. There may be an active herpes infection somewhere on the body, but often there is nothing. In the case of a young person present with confusion and personality changes, an LP and MRI are often done as both of them can lend to the diagnosis. The MRI classically shows inflammation in one or both temporal lobes and the LP often shows a large number of red blood cells and a "PCR" test for Herpes Simplex is often positive.

In your daughter's case, was she confused or acting weirdly before her seizure happened? The problem in your daughter's case is that, having a seizure for the first time, in the ABSENCE of a mass lesion in the brain, usually is the onset of a seizure disorder when the person presenting is young like your daughter was. AFTER her seizure did you notice her acting weird or being really drowsy? Did she have a fever at all?

In terms of meningitis, encephalitis or meningoencephalitis (as in the case of HE) you can NOT rule out the diagnosis with an x-ray or a CT scan or an MRI. You must do an LP; however, the first doctor probably didn't think this was meningitis because her symptoms at the time didn't suggest it (i.e. fever, stiff neck, decreased level of consciousness).

HE is normally treated with intravenous acyclovir for 14 to 21 days depending on the clinical response.

Did the doctors ever tell you why they thought your daughter had a cardiac arrest?
Dear Cgranulomatis,
Thank you for replying to my daughters story. As far as her symtoms she presented not only with a seziure but Lower level of consisious, numness in her leggs and arms vomiting confussion. headache eys sensitive to light, The e-ray was done because the er doctor thought maybe she asperated, The cardiac arrest was due to swelling of her brain. When a patient presents with these systoms is there a protocol that is followed? After reacearching her illness I truly cant understand why he felt this was not meningitis and perform a lumbar puncture?
Again I thank You For Your Help
Missing My Daughter
Jessecas Mom

Old 10-18-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

A younger patient who shows up with fever + confusion or decreased level of consciousness requires a lumbar puncture to rule out an infection of the central nervous system infection.

Last edited by harka; 10-18-2008 at 01:31 PM.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
(female)

Dear Cgranulomatis,
Again I thank you so much for your reply. Your time in this matter is so appreciated as my daughters death has been so very hard to unerstand the reason why she did not get proper medical attention. I tried so much for a doctor to help her but sadly the ones that finnaly did were to late. You mentioned that her systoms should of required a lumbar puncture would this be standard of care. After recearching this illness you are so right that this procdure should of been performed as early treatment in this disease is critical. I feel so much that my dauhgter was so cheated by not having every chance of survival. My heart is so broken Please help me to find answers. I hope my daughters story can help someone else from ever having to be treated in the way she was.We can be thankful for people such as your self is willing to help
Jessecas Mom
Cheri morey

Old 10-20-2008, 05:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseca View Post
Dear Cgranulomatis,
Again I thank you so much for your reply. Your time in this matter is so appreciated as my daughters death has been so very hard to unerstand the reason why she did not get proper medical attention. I tried so much for a doctor to help her but sadly the ones that finnaly did were to late. You mentioned that her systoms should of required a lumbar puncture would this be standard of care. After recearching this illness you are so right that this procdure should of been performed as early treatment in this disease is critical. I feel so much that my dauhgter was so cheated by not having every chance of survival. My heart is so broken Please help me to find answers. I hope my daughters story can help someone else from ever having to be treated in the way she was.We can be thankful for people such as your self is willing to help
Jessecas Mom
Cheri morey
Hi again!

Question for you: when you showed up the first time to the hospital, your daughter was clearly unwell, with a fever and also lethargy and confusion. What did the doctor say to you with regards to meningitis? In other words, what did he or she say with regards to why her presentation was NOT consistent with meningitis or another central nervous system infection?

Old 10-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Hi again!

Question for you: when you showed up the first time to the hospital, your daughter was clearly unwell, with a fever and also lethargy and confusion. What did the doctor say to you with regards to meningitis? In other words, what did he or she say with regards to why her presentation was NOT consistent with meningitis or another central nervous system infection?
Dear Crranulomatis,
After we arrived at the hospital they sent me out in a room to wait. When the dr. came out later he first told me it was a drug overdose. When I told him I was sure it wasnt he told me there are lots of things parents dont know about their children and told me the girl in the next bed was there for a overdoose. My daughter was upset by this and also said she would never do anything to jeperdize her career as she just got her licence for a occupational thearpy assistant and just started a new job I asked him if maybe she could of got something from work? He said he didnt think so. He then told us that the blood work would tell.After doing the blood work and doing a X-ray to rule out asperated. A ct scan. He came in and told us well I guess you were right and seemed angry, He then said that he was quite sure it was not meningitis because he had been a dr, for 25 years and that he felt there was no reason to call a nerologist besides it was a weekendand he didnt see the need for it or to keep her for further observation and told us it was seziure disorder and nothing to be worried about but she would not be able to drive for a year and to follow up within a month or two with a nerologist for a eeg. When I told him I was concerned about her confusion and her vomiting he said it was just because of the seziure. When I asked why she had a seziure to begin with he told me sometimes it just happens due to stress. I was also worried about her vitals and was told they were fine with someone who had a seziure. However when I got a copy of her medical records the discharge papers included vital signs that were wrote in but on my daughters there is nothing about her vitals. Of Course now after educating myself on this disease I wish I would of insisted she had a lumbar puncture. I trusted him to provide her with proper medical care Which now I feel he did not do Still searching for answers
Jessecas Mom

Old 10-21-2008, 05:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

I see I see....confusion and vomiting is common post-seizure, but was your daughter acting strangely PRIOR to the seizure? Also, she had a fever BEFORE the seizure as well correct? What were the earliest signs you noticed in your daughter that prompted you to bring her to the hospital?

Old 10-21-2008, 09:14 AM   #9
(female)

Quote:
I see I see....confusion and vomiting is common post-seizure, but was your daughter acting strangely PRIOR to the seizure? Also, she had a fever BEFORE the seizure as well correct? What were the earliest signs you noticed in your daughter that prompted you to bring her to the hospital?
My daughter was feeling sick about three days prior with a headache and feeling sick to her stomach. But she had just started a new job and thought it was just nerves or a touch of the flu The night this happened she came home from work and said her head hurt and her brain felt funny. She planed on seeing her doctor but that night I had her stay on the couch with me as she was vomitting. I awoke because I herd something and it was her having a seziure I called 911 and they took her to the er. On the way to the hospital she had another one but the doctor said he counted it as only having one.
Jessecas Mom

Old 10-23-2008, 03:24 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Well, I think what the doctor was saying is that if you have two seizures within a half hour period without the patient regaining consciousness in between it has implications from a clinical standpoint.

When you said the doctor seemed angry when he came to re-evaluate your daughter--why do you think that was?

Old 10-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Well, I think what the doctor was saying is that if you have two seizures within a half hour period without the patient regaining consciousness in between it has implications from a clinical standpoint.

When you said the doctor seemed angry when he came to re-evaluate your daughter--why do you think that was?

Old 10-23-2008, 10:46 AM   #12
(female)

He seemed to be angry because all the blood work he did was negative for any kind of drugs. And that was his first diagnoisis. I think because he told us at first he felt it was a drug over dose and thats not what it was.I realize that sometimes thats what they have to look at but when he found out it was not a drug over dose.and said he was sure it was not meningitis he should of done the test to rule it out as he was wrong the first time and saddly wrong the second time And my daughter paid the price.
Jessecas Mom

Old 10-23-2008, 11:28 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Yes...that is very troubling. Doctors must always keep their minds open when making diagnoses often having to investigate many possibilities at once in order to come up with the right diagnosis. The other issue is not to allow pride to get in the way if the diagnosis is wrong (especially when a family member makes the right one!)

Have you talked to said doctor since the incident with your daughter?

Old 10-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #14
(female)

Quote:
Yes...that is very troubling. Doctors must always keep their minds open when making diagnoses often having to investigate many possibilities at once in order to come up with the right diagnosis. The other issue is not to allow pride to get in the way if the diagnosis is wrong (especially when a family member makes the right one!)

Have you talked to said doctor since the incident with your daughter?
I have tried but to no reveal. When this first happened I called that hospital as my daughter was very concerned that others could of been infected thats before we found out what kind of meningits it was. I was put intouch with the head nurse of the Er. She was not real hellpful so I called the hospitals risk management and was told that he was very sorry that this happened and would pass the info. along.But to please call back when we knew what kind of meningitis it was. which I did and also told him she had enephaltis. He wanted to know if a lumbar puncture was done when she was in the er I told him yes. he wanted to know if she was in the ICU. I told him no which really scared me because at the time she was not.After she passed away I called again and told them what had happened I talked to the same person he sais he was sorry this happened and that he had read my daughters obituary in the paper. I have attemted to talk to this doctor but as I said I have not had any luck as I wanted answers I was only told they did not know why he did not perform a lumbar puncture or keep her for further observation.I am still trying and hoping for answers?
Thank You so Much For your time in this matter
Jessecas Mom

Old 10-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

kilgore52 HB User

Hello again and I have been keeping up with how frustrated you are feeling but your answers will come probably through your lawyer because the hospital will not speak to you only through their lawyers now They realize that grief soon turns into anger when questions go unanswered and then they get scared. I am not saying that you sue but it is not fair that it turns in to silence. You deserve answers and you have to have closure so you can be at peace with this and I feel that you have no peace. I'm sorry but that is just the way that it is always handled nowadays. Any conversation can only make matters worse for them and I'm sure that they are instructed not to talk. That's not to say that they don't care and that they don't feel horrible but they have to cover themselves and the hospital legally. A lawyer will help you tremendously but get one that is honest and you trust with your life and who cares about you. Don't pay anything up front or sign anything. A good lawyer will investigate first for you. Do this for your daughter. God Bless you and I shall continue to pray for you always.

Last edited by kilgore52; 10-23-2008 at 03:23 PM.

Closed Thread