HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Infectious Diseases (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/infectious-diseases/)
-   -   Chances of Having Another Staph Infection (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/infectious-diseases/648194-chances-having-another-staph-infection.html)

stepbystep89 11-10-2008 10:29 AM

Chances of Having Another Staph Infection

OK, so I am scheduled for another surgery - same dr, same foot, subtalar fusion.

I had complications in each of the last two surgeries I had on this foot - MSSA, osteomyelitis in my fibula following ankle fusion and osteomyelitis in my first metatarsal/great toe following bunionectomy.

My dr will be doing this procedure at a different location, but I will be inpatient for a couple of days following while I receive some IV antibiotics.

What are the chances that I will have another infection?

Any help that can be provided will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Step

kittykat80 11-10-2008 03:43 PM

Re: Chances of Having Another Staph Infection

There's always a chance.
I hope everything works out for you.

010081 11-10-2008 05:33 PM

There is always a change so high dose of antibiotics before surgery is recommended.

harka 11-10-2008 09:06 PM

Yes, it is absolutely right that you can possibly get another Staphylococcal infection. The thing is, with osteomyeltis following orthopedic surgery, the Staphylococcus is thought to be introduced in to the bone at the time of surgery despite meticulous sterile method practiced by the surgeons. Additionally, if there is either foreign material in the bone (such as plates/screws) or there are areas of chronically infected dead bone, the infection will never be cleared unless those things are removed.

Osteomyelitis, however, CAN be cured if the infection is found quickly. It usually requires at least 6 weeks of antibiotic therapy (of which at least two should be IV).

stepbystep89 11-11-2008 10:22 AM

Thank you all for your quick replies - I really appreciate it!

I will be having a screw placed through my calcaneous and talas bones in my foot. I understand there is always a chance of contracting or aquiring staph when you have surgery, especially when foreign objects are placed in the bone. So, I know I am taking that risk by having that surgery.

I guess what I am really asking, is am I at a greater risk of another infection because I have had two previously?

Thanks again!
Amy

harka 11-11-2008 10:37 AM

The short answer is yes, you will always be at risk both because of your previous Staph infections, because of the fact you're getting more hardware put in and because the anatomy in your leg is disrupted which compromises the blood flow and thus the healing.

stepbystep89 11-11-2008 07:18 PM

OK, thank you very much! I always feel better when I am informed. :)