It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
(female)

kendasuz HB User
Exclamation My experience with Mono

I am a 24-year-old female, and about three weeks ago, I was experiencing some minor sinus congestion, constant hot/cold chills - especially at night, and swollen lymph nodes in my neck and around my face, under my left and right cheeks and to the side of my neck. My lymph nodes were quite swollen for several days, so I decided to go to my doctor. He checked my lymph nodes and noticed the swelling and said that I most likely had a sinus infection. I was given a prescription to take amoxicillin (an antibiotic) and was told to take something with antihistamine/decongestant, so I took Clairtin D. After several days of taking the medications, I still was not feeling much of a change in the swollen lymph nodes, the sinus congestion or the hot/cold chills. Six days after my original doctor's appointment, I was feeling exhausted and feverish, and I woke up with 104 degree temperature. In a panic, my husband gave me some Tylonol and helped get me some ice packs and a cold compress to bring my temperature down. After about two hours, my temperature was down to 101.5 or so. The next morning, we made a doctor's appointment, and I still had a bit of fever and felt awful. The doctor's office decided to draw my blood and examine it for any possible illnesses. I almost passed out from having it taken, partially because my potassium level was so low. The conclusion was that I had mono. The doctor then gave me an azithromycin "z-pac," which is an alternative to the amoxicillin - AND by the way, the doctor concluded that the amoxicillin should not have been administered to me, had the doctor known a week earlier that I had mono, because taking the amoxicillin while I had mono gave me a horrible, painful full-body rash with itchy, red-blotchy bumps/skin rash irriation as well as swelling/fluid retention in my feet, hands and ankles and caused inflammation over my entire body. The itchy red rash started with a few itchy red bumps and turned into the full-body rash and swelling/fluid retention the VERY NEXT DAY after my doctor's appointment when I was diagnosed with having mono. We called my doctor because of the rash, and he prescribed me prednisdone steroid to help with the pain. The doctor also prescribed me with Hydroxyzine for the itching, which really and truly helped a lot. The high temperature (from the mono) continued for about two days after the doctor's appointment. The medicines (Z-pac and Prednisone) really seemed to help with the lymph nodes, rash and fever, as the high temperature eventually subsided and left me feeling extremely fatigued. Laying down on the couch, with my feet propped up really seemed to help get the swelling and inflammation down from my feet, ankles and hands. The swelling disappeared after about 3 days, and the rash disappeared, minus continued occasional itching, after about 7 days. Overall, the worst part of the mono experience was the rash, which I believe could have been prevented with having my blood drawn earlier. I still feel sluggish today, 11 days after being diagnosed with mono, but no more rash, fever, swelling, or cold chills. Mono, unfortunately, takes a while to run its course, but after the rash and fever, I was already feeling much better. The drugs did help a lot, and resting really was the key ingredient to healing, I think. I hope this gives a little insight to folks who may be experiencing mono. It does get better!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread