It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
(female)

beanstock HB User
How long hospitalized for cellulitis/staph?

I'm a post-surgical patient (last week was surgery) and I'm showing possible signs of cellulitis (possible staph) under the skin at the surgery site. My doctor wants me to come straight into be admitted, sight unseen, just in case. I think that's excessive -- shouldn't doctor look at me first to determine whether I'm actually having a problem? I'm so tired of the hopsital, have been there for over a week with the surgery, and I"m just wondering how long IV antibiotic treatment for cellulitis usually lasts.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: How long hospitalized for cellulitis/staph?

Whatever your doctor decides is correct. Usually people are admitted for cellulitis if there are signs of systemic toxicity like a fever or low blood pressure OR if the cellulitis is really bad and will get worse before gettig better. That said, a lot of people get treated as outpatients. Usually treatment for a skin/soft tissue infection for 7 days the first part being IV if the cellulitis is bad.

The Following User Says Thank You to harka For This Useful Post:
themrsa (04-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

I was in for 10 days with my MRSA infection in a c-section incision (after being originally released then back in two days later with the infection).

Old 03-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
(male)

davetradedave HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstock View Post
I'm a post-surgical patient (last week was surgery) and I'm showing possible signs of cellulitis (possible staph) under the skin at the surgery site. My doctor wants me to come straight into be admitted, sight unseen, just in case. I think that's excessive -- shouldn't doctor look at me first to determine whether I'm actually having a problem? I'm so tired of the hopsital, have been there for over a week with the surgery, and I"m just wondering how long IV antibiotic treatment for cellulitis usually lasts.
I can't say that you should "do whatever your doctor says". If my wife did that, she would have gone home with this severe infection with the doctor diagnosing it as a sinus infection. The doctor was very aloof and my wife admitted herself. Optical Cellulitis can blind or kill you. If nothing else, I would start taking the antibiotics immediately. This is the most painful experience that my wife has ever been through. It has been 4 days of treatment and even with heavy drugs, the pain puts her in tears. This is definitely not something to be taken lightly. It looks that the painful part will be over in 5-7 days.

The Following User Says Thank You to davetradedave For This Useful Post:
Vanished (09-29-2012)
Closed Thread