It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User
Bactroban ointment in nose (not Bactroban nasal)?

My OB swabbed me last week for MRSA in my nose to see if I'm colonized so we can be prepared before my upcoming c-section (I'm 33 weeks pregnant). It was positive. She consulted with my infectious disease doctor (from when I originally got MRSA in my c-section incision 2 years ago) and he told her to Rx a course of bactroban in my nose and then retest to see if I was still colonized.

I took the Rx to the pharmacy and got it filled, but when I got home discovered that they had given me a 22 gram tube of Bactroban, not the little 1 gram Bactroban "capsule" things that I had in the hospital.

I immediately called the pharmacist who said that was all they had and that my doctor hadn't specified. I asked how long was I to stay on it, since the Rx didn't specify (and I think the nasal version is a set amount of time) and she told me 10 days. I then asked how much to use, and she said to just "put some on a q-tip and swab my nose." (Not very measured, in my book...)

So I started it this morning, and then thought I'd check out internet resources for how best to apply the ointment to the nose when it wasn't specifically for that... and found several sites that said not to use it in the nose! Now I'm confused.

Should I stop using it in my nose and ask my doctor for a Rx specifically for the Bactroban Nasal?
Is there harm to using the ointment version in my nose?
Is the dosage and course of treatment appropriate?

What are your experiences?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

The Following User Says Thank You to xinerevelle For This Useful Post:
angc1977 (06-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: Bactroban ointment in nose (not Bactroban nasal)?

The decolonization protocol for MRSA is as follows:

Bactroban (mupirocin) ointment INSIDE the nostrils three times a day
Septra + doxycycline orally for 7 days
A daily chlorhexidine body wash for 7 days
A triclosan shampoo on day 4.

You have to do ALL of those for the decolonization. Using bactroban in your nose is fine--in fact, as you can see above it is part of the decolonization procedure. It is an ointment. The reason to use it in your nose is because that is where Staph loves to camp out. It's weird though that the ID doc didn't give you anything else. No pills? No body wash?

Old 01-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Because most of the oral meds are class c pregnancy drugs and cause severe jaundice and other problems with the baby, they are waiting to see if the bactroban on it's own clears up the colonization. If not, we'll do some additional protocols in the two weeks leading up to my planned c-section.

I was just mostly concerned if the ointment version of the bactroban was really any different than the bactroban nasal ointment. Thanks for your quick response!

Old 03-31-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
(female)

hollydolly852 HB User

I have the exact same question...my daughter 4yrs old was prescribed Bactroban for use on her boils (which tested positive for MRSA) & also for the whole family to use in our nostrils. This is supposed to kill off the staph that someone is carrying in our noses & re-infecting her I guess.
Well, the tube of Bactroban (miopricin 2% ointment) says in it's information leaflet not to use in the nose & not for mucosal surfaces. When I questioned the pharmacists she instructed me to put it just under the nose not actually in contact with the mucosal surfaces. I am very confused because I have read so much on the internet about Bactroban nasal which is totally different from the regular bactroban.
Should I really be using this regular bactroban that says not for the nose on my entire family when there is such a thing out there as nasal bactroban?

I am hoping someone out there has had the same experience or at least has used the regular ointment inside their nose without problems. I'm just not sure I'm comfortable asking my boyfriend & his three kids who live with us to put something in the nose that says not to.
Please let me know if anyone has any advice on this subject.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #5
(female)

jhillo HB User

Does anyone have the answer to this? Ok to use regular topical bactroban ointment INSIDE the nose?

Old 04-30-2011, 12:41 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

amyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB User

Quote:
I was just mostly concerned if the ointment version of the bactroban was really any different than the bactroban nasal ointment
Apparently there is a difference. When I was leaving the hospital (after a 4 day stay) because of this nasty infection, I was given a tube of this nasal ointment. Have to tell you though, that the infectious disease doctor said that this may help for a little while; however it will probably return.
Wow, can't wait for the next bout!!!

Old 04-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
(female)

jhillo HB User

Guys and Gals,
I really need your help! I have an infection starting up in my nose! I only have the regular bactroban ointment and not the specific bactroban NASAL .. can I use the REGULAR bactroban inside my nose?

Old 04-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #8
(female)

jhillo HB User

Anyone know ?

Old 04-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

I use Bactroban in my nose ALL THE TIME. I have recurrent impetigo.
I use a fresh cotton swab, one end for each nostril, and I've never had any problems at all.

Best wishes, get better soon!!

Old 08-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #10
(female)

jhillo HB User

do you use bactroban REGULAR? or bactroban nasal for the nose??

Old 08-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
(female)

jhillo HB User

Please, I would really appreciate an answer asap and urgent! I keep getting these infections in my nose, I only have generic mupirocin which is regular bactroban. It is NOT the nasal one that comes in smaller tubes. It is REGULAR mupirocin that is for dermatological use. Can I use this in the nose or will it harm the mucous membranes?

Closed Thread