It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
(male)

rduff58 HB User
Staph Infection on scrotum

I have had several bouts with this infection that keeps coming back. Doctors have diagnosed it first as a cyst, and cut several incesions on my scrotum. It came back shortly after that. Then they diagnosed it as a staph infection and put me on antibiodics for 2 weeks, it keeps reoccurring and now I have a whole that drains a milky liquid from one of the incisions. How do I get rid of this for good?

Old 05-21-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
(female)

nobodytotalkto HB User
Re: Staph Infection on scrotum

Staph infections are extremely hard to get rid of, and if it is MRSA, then there are even fewer antibiotics that can help. My husband and I had MRSA for about 2 and 1/2 years, and then I finally took drastic measures of decolonization, and we've been boil free for about 14 months.

Last edited by nobodytotalkto; 05-22-2009 at 12:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
(male)

gotclee HB User

how did you decolonize the mrsa?

Old 05-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
(female)

nobodytotalkto HB User

Well, once you get it and have reoccurant boils, then chances are...it's on everything and everyone else in the household. It is extremely contagious. It seemed like my husband and I kept passing it back and forth to each other.

After trying several antibiotics that only gave temporary relief, I decided to take matters into my own hands. The following is what my husband and I both did over a two week time frame. I know it is tedious and a bit costly, but it's worked.

First, we both requested another bout of antibiotics (we got Bactrim and Rifampin). Very important, in order to get a jump start on decolonizing! We had been tested to see if we had it in our noses, or only on our skin. Luckily, it was only on our skin. But we used Bactroban cream in our noses just in case.

As soon as we started taking the antibiotics, we also began taking probiotics, vitamin c, drinking aloe vera juice, and an ounce of Noni/Mangosteen/Goji/Acai juice (all of which, we got from our local health food store). I figured we might as well try to make our inner bodies as healthy as possible, while the medications fought the boils.

We showered daily, using a routine of washing with Hibiclens soap (purchased from a local pharmacy) for two days and Betadine on the third. We also stopped using bar hand soap, and starting using liquid soap (germs live on the bars). Razors were changed after each use. When we got out of the shower, we sprayed ourselves with a spray-bottle mixture of colliodal silver/drinking water. Colloidal Silver is an antibiotic that was used until the invention of penicillian. We also soaked a cotton swab in colliodal silver, and swabbed out our noses, just incase. Every four days, we would wipe Germ-X over our whole body.

We washed our clothes daily, including anything that was only on our bodies for a minute, in borox soap along with our normal laundry detergent. We also went out and bought all new white bath towells, wash clothes and bed sheets, which were washed/bleached daily. We didn't share any items (clothes, towells, razers, etc.).

Every three days, I went through the house and wiped everything we touched (sink/shower handles, toilet, door knobs, light switches, fridge/stove/cabinet handles, counter tops, tables, remote controls, cell phones, everything!) with Clorox antibacterial wipes. I also sprayed the couches and carpets good with Lysol Aerosol disinfectant spray.

We also gave our house cats a bath in Betidine, incase they were carriers. Not to mention that we washed our hands CONSTANTLY, especially after touching any body part. The puss that leaks is EXTREMELY contagious, and if it touches any other area on your body, it can cause more boils.

I work at an elementary school where boils are making their rounds. And my husband and I still take precautions when dealing with the public. We wash our hands often and especially after town outtings, and we always have Germ X with us. If we have to use a public bathroom, we wipe the seat down with the Germ X. Other than that, we don't use any kind of antibacterial soap at all. It's better to let our bodies natural "good" germs protect against the "bad" germs.

And I have to admit, I always have the fear that another boil is on the horizon. So as soon as any kind of bump shows up (ingrown hair, pimple, etc.), I soak a cotton ball in Germ X and apply it to the bump for a few minutes. Then I apply a roll on "Dial" deoderant that I get from a 99cent store. It has an ingredient in it that seems to stop the bump in it's tracks (maybe it's just drying them out?).

I kind of feel like a germ-a-phob now days, but you can't be too careful!

Last edited by nobodytotalkto; 05-21-2009 at 10:29 PM.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
(male)

gotclee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodytotalkto View Post
Well, once you get it and have reoccurant boils, then chances are...it's on everything and everyone else in the household. It is extremely contagious. It seemed like my husband and I kept passing it back and forth to each other.

After trying several antibiotics that only gave temporary relief, I decided to take matters into my own hands. The following is what my husband and I both did over a two week time frame. I know it is tedious and a bit costly, but it's worked.

First, we both requested another bout of antibiotics (we got Bactrim and Rifampin). Very important, in order to get a jump start on decolonizing! We had been tested to see if we had it in our noses, or only on our skin. Luckily, it was only on our skin. But we used Bactroban cream in our noses just in case.

As soon as we started taking the antibiotics, we also began taking probiotics, vitamin c, drinking aloe vera juice, and an ounce of Noni/Mangosteen/Goji/Acai juice (all of which, we got from our local health food store). I figured we might as well try to make our inner bodies as healthy as possible, while the medications fought the boils.

We showered daily, using a routine of washing with Hibiclens soap (purchased from a local pharmacy) for two days and Betadine on the third. We also stopped using bar hand soap, and starting using liquid soap (germs live on the bars). Razors were changed after each use. When we got out of the shower, we sprayed ourselves with a spray-bottle mixture of colliodal silver/drinking water. Colloidal Silver is an antibiotic that was used until the invention of penicillian. We also soaked a cotton swab in colliodal silver, and swabbed out our noses, just incase. Every four days, we would wipe Germ-X over our whole body.

We washed our clothes daily, including anything that was only on our bodies for a minute, in borox soap along with our normal laundry detergent. We also went out and bought all new white bath towells, wash clothes and bed sheets, which were washed/bleached daily. We didn't share any items (clothes, towells, razers, etc.).

Every three days, I went through the house and wiped everything we touched (sink/shower handles, toilet, door knobs, light switches, fridge/stove/cabinet handles, counter tops, tables, remote controls, cell phones, everything!) with Clorox antibacterial wipes. I also sprayed the couches and carpets good with Lysol Aerosol disinfectant spray.

We also gave our house cats a bath in Betidine, incase they were carriers. Not to mention that we washed our hands CONSTANTLY, especially after touching any body part. The puss that leaks is EXTREMELY contagious, and if it touches any other area on your body, it can cause more boils.

I work at an elementary school where boils are making their rounds. And my husband and I still take precautions when dealing with the public. We wash our hands often and especially after town outtings, and we always have Germ X with us. If we have to use a public bathroom, we wipe the seat down with the Germ X. Other than that, we don't use any kind of antibacterial soap at all. It's better to let our bodies natural "good" germs protect against the "bad" germs.

And I have to admit, I always have the fear that another boil is on the horizon. So as soon as any kind of bump shows up (ingrown hair, pimple, etc.), I soak a cotton ball in Germ X and apply it to the bump for a few minutes. Then I apply a roll on "Dial" deoderant that I get from a 99cent store. It has an ingredient in it that seems to stop the bump in it's tracks (maybe it's just drying them out?).

I kind of feel like a germ-a-phob now days, but you can't be too careful!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
(male)

gotclee HB User

RDUFF - I recently had this abscess occur and had an aggressive surgery to remove all of it. Painful to the say the least and the recovery process sucks royally. I am living that dream now.

Nobodytalkto - I appreciate the feedback - I think we are going to take your advice on the superclean down. I have two kids and It would crush me for them to go through any of this **** like I have or my wife. This has been a brutal experience and I would not wish this on my worst enemy.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
(female)

nobodytotalkto HB User

Believe me, I totally understand your pain. Literally! Several of my husband's co-workers came down with "spider bites" within a couple of months. He's a mechanic on a military base, so of course with reaching up into vehicles on a daily basis, no one thought anything of it. Then my husband got a "bite" himself.

He went to the doctor, who told him that it appeared to be a staph infection and left it at that. She never said anything about it being contagious, or that it could be potentially fatal. So we truthfully had no idea what staph was, and we didn't take proper procedures to prevent it from spreading. Within a month, I had them too. We kept getting them on a regular basis and it never seemed like we were completely bump free.

We took antibiotics, but didn't treat it very aggressively, until two years later I found out that I needed an open abdominal surgery. Then I started hearing about MRSA and the other superbugs out there. I freaked out and went to get tested. Sure enough, it was MRSA and by that time, I never had any less than two at a time.

We spent several months trying antibiotics to see if it would cure them. The boils would shrink, then disappear, only to return 2 weeks after we stopped taking the antibiotics. It seemed hopeless and I was sure that I was going to die from staph after the operation. I had to keep prosponing the surgery, so we could try to clear up the MRSA. Finally, I got online and did some research, and decided on my game plan. It was a major pain, and I'm not exactly sure which part worked, but so far, we've been lucky and haven't had a boil in this house since March of 08'. I also had absolutely no problems with the surgery, or the incision, that was from my ribcage all the way down.

I believe the main key is that you have to be on antibiotics while you start your decolonization. That way, it will be weakened while you take steps to kill it. Best of luck to you and your family! I do believe that if you can find the source, it can be taken care of.

Last edited by nobodytotalkto; 05-27-2009 at 12:45 PM.

Closed Thread