It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2009, 05:16 AM   #1
(female)

Thuja HB User
Sterile Pus

Does any one know exactly what this is?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: Sterile Pus

Pus is simply a mixture of water, protein (inflammatory exudate) and white blood cells. Often pus is seen in association with infections because there is a large inflammatory reaction which occurs in the presence of invading bacteria, but an infection doesn't have to be present. There are certain inflammatory skin conditions like pyoderma gangrenosum which have a lot of purulence (pus) associated with them, but they aren't infected.

Additionally, if someone has a deep abscess (i.e. collection of pus) and they have been on antibiotics, the bacteria may die, but the pus will remain. This is another example of sterile pus.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread