It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
(male)

Global1965 HB User
I stepped on a nail 12 days ago

12 days ago I stepped on a nail insdie the house. NAil wasn't rusty. I was wearing sandals. No infection or redness on the site. I squeezed some blood out and cleaned it. I suffer from anxiety as well. I started reading about tetanus and began to have panic attacks, depressed etc. The more I read the worst I felt. Thursday I started to have symproms: Stiff neck, jaw, and some shoulder stiffness. Saturday went to see a doctor...he said I don't have tetanus. Still I was worried. LAst night I went to ER...also said I don't have tetanus. But I still have these symptoms although they have not progressed for the past 6 days. My shoulders feel a bit better today but still my jaw feels a bit stiff. It has been 25 years since my last Td shot. Tomorrow I'm seeing another Doctor. Am I Hypochondriac or just plain wimp when it comes to fear of diseases. I'm also horrified from the possibility of reacton from shots. (terrible experience as a child, had bad reaction to penicillin). Thanks to all of you in advance.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
(female)

smokinn1973 HB User
Re: I stepped on a nail 12 days ago

It sounds like you are stressed. I get a stiff neck when i am stressed and also grind my teeth,which resulted me also having a sore jaw. I hope that was some help. I too suffer from anxiety and deal with these symptoms from the stress it brings.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

If you did have tetanus you would not be walking around worrying about it. You would be in the worst pain of your life, and having uncontrollable spasms which can lift you off the bed and break bones. Get a tetanus shot, though, to set your mind at rest.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

And rust has nothing to do with tetanus. That's an old wives tales. The tetanus bacterium is present in soil so it's injuries incurred outside that you worry about. That's why they always tell you to wash them off thoroughly. And for a penetrating wound where you can't get everything out, they give a tetanus booster to make sure.

So relax. Your neck and jaw pain is from stress. Just like the rest of us.

gentle hugs............Jenny

Old 06-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
(male)

latte18 HB User

hello, i too stepped on a nail. and the one i stepped on was rusty and dirty. this happened to me on sunday night, today is friday. tetanus is the last thing you and i should be worrying about. yeah tetanus is fatal but not 50% or higher, its a small percentage. there are many infectious diseases outthere that can develop from punture wounds. if your tetanus shot was 25 years ago i dont know what you waiting for. my last tetanus shot was 12 years ago so that was the first thing i did. go get it! it costs like 10 dollars depending where you live. with all that said, i do think that you are overworrying, the neck pain is what gives me the clue. i been there, stressing myself, and it causes me to have rapid heart bit, neck pain and uncontrolled minor muscle spasms. so try to calm down and do keep a look on the wound and the area nearby. and try to look for weird pains on your body, specially on the joints, it could be a staphylococcal skin infection which is the most common in puncture wounds. best of luck!, for both us. here are a few questions i got for you.

how much did the nail went in?
did it went thru any bones?

bk

Old 06-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
(male)

Global1965 HB User

Hi Latte,
The nail went in about 1-1/2" didn't hit any bone nor it got infected at all. My problem is I have this great fear of reaction to medications especially shots. I was traumatized from a severe reaction from penicillin when I was a young boy. Now everytime I get a shot of anything I sart having panic attacks. I even refused TD shot recently. what a mess huh?

Old 06-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
(male)

latte18 HB User

oh so now i see why you didnt take the tetanus shot. my gf is allergic to penicillin so i know what you talking. hopefully your symptoms will decrease, thanks for answering.

bk

Last edited by latte18; 06-06-2009 at 09:46 AM.

Closed Thread