It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
(female)

phineas77 HB User
Unhappy Recurring Staph Infections

I got my first staph infection ever last spring and since then I've had about 10 of them, give or take, and they've been getting more frequent and faster developing. They've been concentrated around my arms, particularly my underarms, except for one recently that appeared in my calf which rendered me barely mobile for a week.

I was originally prescribed Bactrim, but I became allergic to it, so my physician prescribed me Doxycycline which is what I've taken for the past two infections. I'm really tired of this, it's extremely painful and I have so many scars--is there really no way to be rid of it for good? Only one of the infections has actually come from a wound, and it wasn't the first either. Other than this, I'm pretty healthy--the most I can recall recently is a cold and shigellosis a couple of years ago--and I usually avoid taking medication if I can help it, with the staph being an exception.

If there is anything I can do to be rid of this for good, please help.

Edit: Correction, I was on Septra DS, not Bactrim.

Last edited by phineas77; 10-20-2009 at 10:14 PM.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
(female)

donnag2558 HB User
Re: Recurring Staph Infections

Hi, everyword you wrote is exactly the same as my husband. This time is the worse. Its on the outer side of his forearm. It started this weekend an its already huge, it looks like a golfball right under the skin...he went to the Dr. about six Monday....she lanced it last evening and has him on Batrim, and another antibiotic.Hes been having these also for at least a yr. or more. I'm worried about him, he's got a fever. His Dr.said if he wasn't better by Wed. to come back...I'll pray for the both of you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
(female)

phineas77 HB User

The last one I had was in the exact same place but I refilled my prescription as soon as it became inflamed so it didn't get too bad.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LL29 HB User

Hi there,

Have you been tested for mrsa - nasal swab AND from the culture site? Sometimes they can read false negatives/positives and are resistent to certain antibiotics.

Please read the other threads on recurring staph as it's ongoing.

There are alot of people being misdiagnosed.

Hope you get better
Laurie

Closed Thread