It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
(female)

snickers26 HB User
Smile Possible Strep carrier/rheumatic fever

Hi! I'm new here and was wondering if anyone could help me. My boyfriend has been suffering from symptoms that we think are due to rheumatic fever, probably caused by untreated Strep throat infections when he was younger. He is 30, and has been going through heart pain and congestion with overall weakness (in flare ups) since he was 21. When he was a child/adolescent, he got strep throat like a dozen times - 3 times in one winter. Many of those times, he would not get treatment because the doctors found negative strep results. After so long of not getting better, they would test him again and they would find him positive for strep. He has seen cardiologists and such in Boston and here in Florida only with the result that he is imagining his problems, and should be on anti-depressants. He doesn't currently have a strep infection, but seems to be suffering from post-streptococcal type effects... If anyone has any info or suggestions, we would most graciously appreciate it. Thanks again!

Old 02-06-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
(male)

jerryncheryl HB User
Re: Possible Strep carrier/rheumatic fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers26 View Post
Hi! I'm new here and was wondering if anyone could help me. My boyfriend has been suffering from symptoms that we think are due to rheumatic fever, probably caused by untreated Strep throat infections when he was younger. He is 30, and has been going through heart pain and congestion with overall weakness (in flare ups) since he was 21. When he was a child/adolescent, he got strep throat like a dozen times - 3 times in one winter. Many of those times, he would not get treatment because the doctors found negative strep results. After so long of not getting better, they would test him again and they would find him positive for strep. He has seen cardiologists and such in Boston and here in Florida only with the result that he is imagining his problems, and should be on anti-depressants. He doesn't currently have a strep infection, but seems to be suffering from post-streptococcal type effects... If anyone has any info or suggestions, we would most graciously appreciate it. Thanks again!

I would have the doctor do a blood work up for 'Q' Fever. It's common in Florida. The signs and symptoms for Q fever vary widely. People with Q fever may have no symptoms at all, while Q fever typically affects the heart and other major organs.
More than half the people infected with acute Q fever never show symptoms. If you do have symptoms, you'll notice them about two to three weeks after exposure to the bacteria. The infection may mimic the flu, causing these signs and symptoms:

■High fever (104 degrees Fahrenheit, or 40 degrees Celsius)
■Severe headache
■Fatigue
■Sore throat
■Chills
■Sweats
■Cough, which may be dry or productive
■Chest pain
■Abdominal pain
■Nausea
■Vomiting
■Diarrhea
■Purplish rash
■Severe muscle pain

It took the doctors in Norther Nevada over a year to figure out that I had Q fever. They kept doing the wrong blood tests. A person must ask for a Q fever blood test. My symptoms were a fever that started around noon each day. I would sleep it off till the next day and then would wake up and feel fine. Just tired. Got to work and around noon, the fever would come back. Went to the doc after a week and he gave me antibiotics. That stopped the fever, but not the constant fatigue. It was a year later he discovered Q fever. I have studied this fever for over three years now and Florida is one state that tests for it. Good Luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
(female)

snickers26 HB User
Re: Possible Strep carrier/rheumatic fever

Thanks so much for your response. I'm definitely going to look into Q-Fever, and see what I can find. I really appreciate the detailed information you gave in your reply. Hope all is well with you now!

Closed Thread