It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
(female)

indigobird HB User
Post Mono Syndrome? 'Scar tissue' on lymphs?

Hi all...
I had Mono 2x... once in May/June 2008 and again September/October 2009. My glands under my jaw are so swollen, you can see them protruding. I asked my doctor about it, and she says they are 'fibrotic' lymphs. Not swollen or infected, but simply covered in scar tissue from the severe bouts of Mono I had.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this really what's happening here?? I feel like I've been given the brush off.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: Post Mono Syndrome? 'Scar tissue' on lymphs?

Hmmmm, it's generally unusual for otherwise healthy individuals to get mono twice UNLESS you are getting the mono syndrome from two different viruses. Was your mono syndrome confirmed by bloodwork or did your doctor just "feel the lymph nodes" and give you the diagnosis?

The reason I ask is that mononucleosis is a very specific syndrome with specific diagnostic criteria. It's not enough for a doctor to just see a person in his/her clinic--certain special blood tests need to be done.

Mono happens when one's immune system reacts to a certain virus it's being exposed to for the first time. Generally the virus is EBV (Epstein-Barr Virus) but it can also happen from CMV, HIV and even a parasite called Toxoplasma. Most people who are exposed to these viruses are completely asymptomatic. It is the minority of people whose immune systems react strongly who get the mono syndrome; however, with otherwise normal immune systems (which most of us have) you should only get the mono syndrome once.

Have those lymph nodes been getting any bigger?

Last edited by harka; 03-25-2010 at 07:06 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
(female)

lesliesplanet HB User
Re: Post Mono Syndrome? 'Scar tissue' on lymphs?

I have been trying to get the same answer!! I have chronic recurring mono and several auto-immune disorders. I have had this last bout of mono for over 2 yrs now. This time....all the glands in my neck, under my jaw and the back of my head (behind my ears) have swollen up and are extremely painful!!!! I have been asking why this is happening and I have not gotten any answers other than..it happens w/ mono. The first 8 months it was constant and felt like someone had a clamp on the back of my head...now it comes and goes. Sometimes it is there for a few days in a row and sometimes it is once a week. I don't feel like I am getting all the answers either!!

Have you had a Titer Test done. After having Mono once...as I understand...this is the only way to tell if it is active again. My last Titer test came back at 3000....the normal range was 0-90. But this is about the 8th or so time I have had it. Each time it seems to get worse and last longer!! I feel your pain and I am also looking for answers. Although I don't seem to be getting very far!!

I have never had any of my doctors say anything about fibroic lymphs, seems a bit odd to me. Althought I did have my Throid removed several yrs ago and was just told last month by a different doctor that there was a lot of scar tissue in my neck..ummm.

Do your glands hurt...like someone has a tight grip on them and just won't let go?

Last edited by lesliesplanet; 04-22-2010 at 10:42 AM.

Closed Thread