It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
(male)

mgolden12 HB User
MRSA. I know, it's talked about a bunch. But still...

Hello everyone, I'm a new person to the HealthBoards and am glad that I could join.

Now, to the problem I'm having.

I'm pretty sure that what I have is MRSA. It's...annoying to say the least. I was fortunate enough to catch it in its less horrible form, which is in the pimples and boils. My doctor told me I've probably got it from places on my body in which rub together to swap sweat (or something like that, I'm not sure) and that gave me this bug. I thought "okay, just deal with this and it'll all be gone. Pretty much it's been a year later and it's stll bothering me. He put me on Bactrim in the first part, and I think that it's become resistant to that already, but I'm not sure. Right now, he actually put me on acne medication, which has work for about a month now, but now I have a annoying boil on my hip (just one so far). They boils come out in random places, so I'm wondering if it's systemic or not, and if so, am I going to live with this the rest of my life?

I'm going to get it culture if I can. But some of the questions I have is if the environment that I live in can keep causing this infection? I live with cats and dogs, and my room isn't the most sanitary of places. Or the work I do? I work in a hotel, and that might be where I got it, I'm not sure.

Anywhos, I'm not really worried about it. I know it can get serious if left untreated, but I know the signs so I'm good on that. I just hope that it won't become resistant to ALL the medications I take...that kinda worries me a little bit.

Sorry for a long post, I would really appreciate some replies! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2010, 04:42 AM   #2
(female)

Twinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB User
Re: MRSA. I know, it's talked about a bunch. But still...

Hi. My 25 year old son just went thru a MRSA infection. We have no idea how he got it, but from researching ALOT, it seems anyone can get it.

The first thing the doctor did was culture the boil (which was on his jawline). It showed all the antibiotics that would kill it. He took doxyclycline for 10 days and applied bactroban ointment to the boil. He seems to be fine now - no more boils have popped up and from most people I talked to, they said the early culture was the smartest thing that doctor could have done.

My son is allergic to most antibiotics so that was why we were so freaked out. He cannot take Bactrim and a couple of the other ones that the culture showed would kill the MRSA infection. The doxycycline made him feel HORRIBLE. Very dizzy and very fatigued, but he got thru the 10 days and seems ok now.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
(male)

65flipper66 HB User
Re: MRSA. I know, it's talked about a bunch. But still...

wash your hands wash your hands. don't touch your face or anyone else's wash before you use rest room & after you use rest room and use paper towel to turn off water and to open door, keep hand santizer with you to use when you can't wash your hands. Also use your own personal hand moisturizer fredquently this dramatically cracks in skin where those buggers can gain entrance & play havoc.

Closed Thread