It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 04:33 AM   #1
(female)

martinat HB User
I am so scared I was diagnosed with MRSA

I have been getting what I thought were boils under my arm in the armpit for several years. I just recently heard about the symptoms of MRSA and they seem to match. I went into the E.R. and showed them what I was talking about and the Dr. diagnosed me with MRSA. The only thing that concerns me is he seemed like it was no big deal and wrote me a prescription for bactrim. Told me to take that for 10 days and follow up with my regular dr when all meds were gone. Oh and he did no type of swab or urine test or blood test to be sure, he just wrote it off as this... I don't know what to do I have 3 small children, a husband, I am also in school. Do I stop showing affection to my family? Do I stay home and not finish school? Is my life pretty much over due to this? I can't stop crying, what do I do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2010, 06:28 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User
Re: I am so scared I was diagnosed with MRSA

DEEP BREATH...My friend had MRSA. He developed this lump on the back of his neck.
It IS highly contagious, this I do know. They took a little bit of fluid from the lump to get the diagnoses. The good news is that it did NOT spread and it is now gone. PLEASE DO Follow-up with someone that knows a LOT about MRSA and someone that will answer all of your questions and someone that will put your fears to rest. MRSA can be very dangerous if not treated. The anit-biotics are very important and if this is not gone after you take them, that will mean that you need more treatment.

I DO know that they can treat this and it can go away. But again, you must watch this closely and IF YOU DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE with your doctor, get a second opinion.
This is about YOU, so it may be easy for them to be nonchalent, (sp?) but your feelings and fears need to be addressed so that you feel okay. Don't read too much on the internet. This will only upset you more and of course we always read about the WORSE case scenerio, and that does NOT always happen.
((hugs))
Madison

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
(female)

Twinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB User
Re: I am so scared I was diagnosed with MRSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinat View Post
I have been getting what I thought were boils under my arm in the armpit for several years. I just recently heard about the symptoms of MRSA and they seem to match. I went into the E.R. and showed them what I was talking about and the Dr. diagnosed me with MRSA. The only thing that concerns me is he seemed like it was no big deal and wrote me a prescription for bactrim. Told me to take that for 10 days and follow up with my regular dr when all meds were gone. Oh and he did no type of swab or urine test or blood test to be sure, he just wrote it off as this... I don't know what to do I have 3 small children, a husband, I am also in school. Do I stop showing affection to my family? Do I stay home and not finish school? Is my life pretty much over due to this? I can't stop crying, what do I do?
Well, from what I know since my son had a MRSA infection a few months back, you MUST have a culture done. Its really the only way to diagnose it and get the appropriate antibiotic to take. My son had a large boil on his face - doctor did a culture, put him on doxcy for 10 days and gave him an ointment to use and told him to keep the area clean/covered. We FREAKED out too reading all the stuff on MRSA, but come to find, its very common and in a healthy person can be cleared up and hopefully never return again. MaryAnn

Closed Thread