It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2010, 03:08 AM   #1
(male)

Stephenish HB User
Parasitic infection, worms

I have small worms about the size and shape of pinworms (approx. 1/4" in length and perhaps 0.5mm around, white in color) but without the pointed tail. I think these worms are eating mucous membranesmucous membranes. I haven't got a diagnosis because the eggs aren't in the stool and no evidence of them comes up in blood samples. I know I have the worms because I have blown two of them out of my nose, and I can feel them moving around inside my body, especially late at night. Occasionally, the worms congregate on my thigh, usually the inner thigh, right and/or left.

Will my mucous membranes grow back? Does anyone know what kind of worm this is? Would a doctor take a biopsy when the worms congregate on my thigh, do you think?

Lately, I have been feeling nauseated, and I think the worms have moved into my stomach, as I have been feeling pain there.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: Parasitic infection, worms

Have you ever travelled to a country where tissue worms are endemic? Mostly africa, South America or Asia? Do you have a lot of large or wild animal exposure? Have you been able to get a worm that you blow out of your nose and put it in a jar to show a doctor?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
(male)

Stephenish HB User

I ate sushi. Felt the worm enter my stomach years ago.

When I started taking Lovaza (fish oil) in large amounts, the worms went crazy. Wriggling at night in my middle ear. So, these worms are likely endemic to fish and not so much man.

I was feeling nauseated on and off last week. (A sign of dying worms.) Pin-X for treating pinworms only reduced the number of worms after two treatments.

The worms are probably hermaphroditic.

No samples for the doctors, yet.

Last edited by Stephenish; 03-24-2010 at 10:05 AM.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

It sounds like you've been doing a lot of reading on the internet; unfortunately, some of your info has been taken out of context. The worms which are associated with sushi are exclusively luminal helminths...in other words, Diphyllobothrium latum (fish tapeworm) and Pseudoterranova spp (cod tapeworm) are cestodes which exclusively live in the gut. They are not invasive. Additionally, Pin-x which I believe is a piperazine derivative which is not active versus cestodes. Cestodes are treated with either an imidzole like mebenda- or albendazole or praziquantel.

Secondly, not that I don't think there is something significant going on with you, I think you are grossly overinterpreting your symptoms. Nausea, is a VERY non-specific symptom and while it can be associated with a dying worm reaction, there are many more specific things which happen to you. That said, dying worm reactions are only seen in tissue invasive helminths which tapeworms are NOT.

Now, given my extensive experience with those with parasites, no amount of what I tell you will shake what you're thinking because the symptoms you're feeling are so distressing. What I suggest you do is ALWAYS carry around a sterile container so that if you do see a worm, you can store it and show it to the doctor.

Also, you made a comment about worms being "endemic to fish"...that concept is somewhat mistaken with things like tapeworms. The lifecycle is fish tapeworms involves humans as a host giving the worm a chance to latch on and to expel ova and proglottids. When you have tissue invasive helminths where humans are an "accidental" host, it doesn't present with worms flying around your tissues; rather, you present with large fluid-filled cysts which can occupy your liver or your lung. An example of this is with Echinococcus granulosus (hydatid disease) which is the dog tapeworm where humans can be an accidental and "dead-end" host (i.e. worms do not form in the human).

You are clearly someone who is very intelligent seeing as you've done all this reading, but take it from someone who knows a LOT about parasitology, you are mixing up concepts of life cycles between different worms.

Please realize though I am NOT insulting you--just giving you some info on the worms' life cycles. If you have any specific questions, now's the time to ask

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-04-2010 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Removed Quote of immediately preceding post. Please use "Quick" Reply rather than "Quote" Reply. Thanks!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
(male)

Stephenish HB User

Clearly, these worms are not helminths. And they do cruise around my body. I have felt the worms at joints, knees and feet, hands and elbow. Also, in my scrotum, scalp, cheeks and lips. I have been told by doctors, that there is no infection, that "it will resolve itself." What I need is help, not gainsaying. Another doctor, when I described the symptoms, said there is no such infection, that what I am experiencing cannot be real. Well, I'm telling you, it is real, and I've got it.

In the fish world, some fish, when they go to sleep at the reef, create a mucous bubble to protect themselves. If they don't do this, they get eaten. I'm thinking the worms propagate by being eaten. This is why there is no evidence of eggs is in my excrement. Earlier in the infection, I had chills and my nose ran profusely. I had to turn up the temperature to 80 or 82 degrees. Then the symptoms would simply disappear only to reappear later. I think these worms are capable of hiding from the immune system by changing the protein coatings on their bodies. To appear like my own flesh, as it were. Perhaps these additional bits of information will help you to help me.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your efforts. At this point, I'll take just about anything I can get, even negations.

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-04-2010 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Removed Quote of immediately preceding post. Please use "Quick" Reply rather than "Quote" Reply. Thanks!

Old 03-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi,

Helminth is just the proper name for worm.

I hope you feel better!

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-04-2010 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Removed Quote of immediately preceding post. Please use "Quick" Reply rather than "Quote" Reply. Thanks!

Old 03-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
(male)

Stephenish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by harka View Post
Hi,

Helminth is just the proper name for worm.

I hope you feel better!
I thought helminth was short for the genus of tapeworms...

My mistake. Actually, I don't feel so bad. These worms are apparently not causing serious damage. I would still like to rid myself of the infection.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
(female)

vivianvitality HB User

Hey,

I'm dealing with worms too. The only thing I've tried that has made the worms come out on their own was kangen water. It's alkalized water. If you have an acupuncturist near you, you can get it for free. I started drinking the stuff and they started coming out. I have tapeworm so I need some additional help, but when the worms started coming out after drinking the water, it answered some questions.

Anyways, good luck.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
(female)

spiritofGod HB User
Lightbulb Re: Parasitic infection, worms

Hello, You are both correct, I will tell you a bit about my experience, I was sick with ulcerated colitis for many yrs,3 yrs ago I saw something in my stools, (never Thinking it was worms), well they were, I had a np tell me it was a fluke, (tremetode), BUT because I did not have any medical insurance, they treated me like I was crazy, The people in westchester medical center saw them but asked me if I bought them on the internet, My Good God, So Please do not get this persons hopes up high,The drs saw them, and as you know the worm has to be emerging from the ova in order to detect the parasite in the feces, Both parties here are correct, If you have insurance go to a Parasitic doctor, For Gods sake I was asking for posion for my body ,not drugs that get you high, I finally went to a certified nutrisionst showed her and I have been on all herbal paraside, they are comming out like a scary movie, Think about it, People in Mexico use human waste as fertilizer, and admitt to it, so when you see a product from Mexico do not buy it, There is an epidemic, In the USA, In eurpoe they are made to purge 2 times a year, because of parasites, Please do not be so quick to judge, Because I have alot of faith in God and I do respect the medical community I will get through this also, Take a good pararid, and Good Luck

Old 05-21-2012, 01:26 AM   #10
(female)

Cindy89 HB User

This is scary. I have alot of tummy issues after travelling. I have pain burning discomfort. Could this be parasites also. i will be oer careful when buying my food next time.

Closed Thread