It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
(female)

Mommy2Tots HB User
First time Staph Infection- Help!

It started as a bump on the bottom of my foot that was hard and fluid filled. It busted, and before long I had several similar bumps on the bottom of my foot. Several days later, a red rash of little bumps had spread all over the foot and had even spread to the other foot as well. I even had little fluid filled bumps appear on the palms of my hand. I finally went to the doctor. He thought it was a fungal infection and gave me antibiotics, steroids, and lamicil. He did a culture of the biggest original wound, which came back as staph. I didn't think much of it....until I started researching staph infections on the internet. Now, I am confused as to how serious this infection is? How do you know if it has entered the bloodstream? I have no fever...which is one of the questions my dr asked me. I can't see my dr again for a follow up until Friday. I am burning with questions after doing research. My feet seem better....but they look horrible. The infected skin has hardened and darkened in color and is peeling and still oozing. How long does it take to get over this? Does a culture reveal whether or not it is MRSA? And...now I am terrified of infecting my kids. I was also not given any instructions as to how to care for the wound...bandaging, cleansing etc. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: First time Staph Infection- Help!

If there was Staphylococcus in your blood you would be VERY ill, and rather than posting on a website, you would be in the hospital

Staphylococcus can definitely cause skin infections, but to do it on the palms of the hands is very unusual UNLESS there is another skin problem on the hand which then gets secondarily infected. I wonder if you were actually suffering from palmoplantar pustulosis which in itself is not an infection, but can get secondarily infected when the skin breaks down. Your family doctor may not have seen a case of this before. Do you have any skin conditions? Do you have any health problems?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
(female)

Mommy2Tots HB User

I've had break outs on my hands before like this...they always just go away on their own. The foot thing is completely new. My doctor stated that it was a fungal infection on my foot with a secondary infection (staph??). I am being treated with a generic for Septra, steroids, and lamisil. Other than a bad cold...I am healthy to my knowledge.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Tots View Post
I've had break outs on my hands before like this...they always just go away on their own. The foot thing is completely new. My doctor stated that it was a fungal infection on my foot with a secondary infection (staph??). I am being treated with a generic for Septra, steroids, and lamisil. Other than a bad cold...I am healthy to my knowledge.
So it has happened before eh? Has anyone ever mentioned the diagnosis of "palmoplantar pustulosis" to you?

The thing that's hard about taking cultures is that Staph normally lives on the skin. Oftentimes when just a swab is done, the stuff that's actually living on the surface of the skin (rather than what's actually causing an infection) is picked up by the swab.

Do you have psoriasis? Do you have any pets?

Last edited by harka; 03-25-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User

The culture results would have said if it was MRSA.

As far as caring for the wounds - check with your doctor first. If okay - my suggestion would be that you wash your feet daily, dry them and apply an antibiotic ointment to the open areas and place gauze over the oozing areas. I would recommend wearing clean white socks too.

Place your old dressings in a plastic bag and keep counters etc. clean. I wouldn't worry about infecting your kids if you are using clean techniques in your home.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
(female)

Mommy2Tots HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by harka View Post
So it has happened before eh? Has anyone ever mentioned the diagnosis of "palmoplantar pustulosis" to you?

The thing that's hard about taking cultures is that Staph normally lives on the skin. Oftentimes when just a swab is done, the stuff that's actually living on the surface of the skin (rather than what's actually causing an infection) is picked up by the swab.

Do you have psoriasis? Do you have any pets?
I don't have psoriasis, no pets, and haven't heard of palmoplantar pustulosis. The bumps sometimes appear on my fingers as well, and it itches. My feet itched like crazy when the red bumps started to spread. It doesn't itch anymore.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Tots View Post
I don't have psoriasis, no pets, and haven't heard of palmoplantar pustulosis. The bumps sometimes appear on my fingers as well, and it itches. My feet itched like crazy when the red bumps started to spread. It doesn't itch anymore.
I wonder if it's PP you have....the palms and soles of the feet are a rare place to get an infection unless there is something else going on. PP is a condition which looks very infectious, but it's surprisingly not...it's often associated with psoriasis, but doesn't have to be. A lot of doctors haven't heard about it because, well...it's fairly uncommon. Next time you see your doctor, it might be worth asking because the therapy for this condition is essentially the "opposite" of antibiotics.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
(female)

Mommy2Tots HB User

I looked up PP....and your right, that is definitely possible. I see it is linked to smokers often, and I am one. My husband also occasionally breaks out with this on his hands as well....and we have always figured whatever it is I must have picked it up from him. Once I broke out in this....he did our laundry...and had a new very minor break out on his hand. It's never been really bothersome until this foot thing. My feet look like a disaster. The discoloration of the skin on my feet, broke and peeling skin, reddness, and hardened surface is just horrible.

Thanks Mari for the advice and suggestions. I need to buy some bandages. I just don't want my kids infected with any of this stuff.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

If you are at all concerned, using a germicidal soap (such as Safeguard or Dial) in the shower/bath every day should supress the staph on the skins surface.

But you realy dont need to be concerend, you have a mild infection which will clear up and soon be forgotten.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Closed Thread