It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
(female)

lstanka HB User
Dealing with nausea associated with meningitis

My boyfriend had an earache that turned into a headache for about 4 days. He went to the emergency room on April 1 with the worst headache he has ever had and constant vomiting. After a lumbar puncture, the doctors determined that it was viral meningitis. He spent four days in the hospital so that his pain could be controlled and the doctors could be sure that he could eat on his own without vomiting. He was released on Easter (April 4). Since then, he has been able to eat some food, sticking mostly with liquids and soft solids, but the nausea is almost constant and as a result, he barely eats anything. Today, he vomited twice.

I was just wondering if anyone has any idea how we can stop the nausea. We don't want to have to take him back to the hospital, but if he can't keep any food or liquids down, we may have to so that he doesn't become dehydrated or too weak.

He is currently taking Acyclovir (for shingles in his ear canal that started around the same time as the headaches) and Ciprofloxacin. The doctor prescribed him Vicodin for the pain, be he says it makes the nausea worse. I bought cola syrup and Emetrol for him but neither one has helped. Would Dramamine help?

Old 04-09-2010, 12:00 AM   #2
(male)

sporque HB User
Re: Dealing with nausea associated with meningitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstanka View Post
My boyfriend had an earache that turned into a headache for about 4 days. He went to the emergency room on April 1 with the worst headache he has ever had and constant vomiting. After a lumbar puncture, the doctors determined that it was viral meningitis. He spent four days in the hospital so that his pain could be controlled and the doctors could be sure that he could eat on his own without vomiting. He was released on Easter (April 4). Since then, he has been able to eat some food, sticking mostly with liquids and soft solids, but the nausea is almost constant and as a result, he barely eats anything. Today, he vomited twice.

I was just wondering if anyone has any idea how we can stop the nausea. We don't want to have to take him back to the hospital, but if he can't keep any food or liquids down, we may have to so that he doesn't become dehydrated or too weak.

He is currently taking Acyclovir (for shingles in his ear canal that started around the same time as the headaches) and Ciprofloxacin. The doctor prescribed him Vicodin for the pain, be he says it makes the nausea worse. I bought cola syrup and Emetrol for him but neither one has helped. Would Dramamine help?
An anti-nausea drug like promethazine would help greatly..You need a prescription. Sometimes OTC anti-histamines help alleviate nausea as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstanka View Post

Istanka,

If the vomiting continues I wouldn't hesitate to take him back to the hospital. While viral meningitis is very symptomatically bad and generally gets well on its own, whenever there is a central nervous system infection and prolonged vomiting, you always have to make sure there hasn't been a complication. Vomiting once or twice is not a big deal, but if vomiting is waking him up at night and it's happening for a prolonged time over a few days, take him back. Sporque made a great suggestion...to add: with meningitis sometimes caffeine can help in some cases. Otherwise, you're looking at stronger agents which require a prescription. The thing is, rather than giving anti-emetics in this situation, giving something to take the headache away helps with the nausea a lot. Try an anti-inflammatory like advil to start, but if that doesn't work, he may need something stronger like kytril or ondansetron.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User

I would suggest you calling the doctor and asking for an antiemetic suppository such as promethazine. It's always better to use the suppositories when someone is having problems with nausea/vomiting because it is readily absorbed and doesn't have to be broken down by the digestive tract.

It's important to prevent repeated vomiting because it raises the intracranial pressure.

It takes time to recover from viral meningitis. I would also suggest keeping the room somewhat dark and visual and sound stimulus to a minimum.

Once he gets the nausea under control continue to offer him fluids to prevent dehydration.

Closed Thread