It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 01:32 AM   #1
(female)

Matchfoot HB User
2 yrs.. post-mrsa

Hi, I went to the hospital for a colonoscope(sp)1 day prior to test due to my cidp. I was settled into my room with a pleasant roomate. The R.N was asking me about prior illness.I told her I had Mrsa 2 yrs. ago on my left ankle plus I got osteomyelitis due to Mrsa. 1 hour later. the hurse came back & said I was moving to a new room due to ER admits. It dawned on me 5 minutes later (whilst the nurse cultured my roomies nose)=that I had been lied to=and yes there are privacy laws=she could've taken me aside......I was disabled out of the health care field and it shocks me to see some still see it as a "stigma". What I'm trying to relate is; Yes, mrsa is a very contagious disease while being treating, and people, who are carriers of it, MUST practice extraordinary hygiene-but a post-mrsa pt. probably won't contaminate another in social situations. I'll stop my pity-party, I'm sad & lonely and keep a smile on my face. But the jokes on me-nobodies around to see it. Thanks for reading. Blessings al

Old 05-06-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: 2 yrs.. post-mrsa

Hi there,

I'm sorry you had to go through that situation. It must've been tough for you. I wish the nurse had explained what she was doing so you didn't feel so alienated.

The truth is, due to infection control practices in all of Canada and certain areas of the States, people want to prevent the spread of MRSA to other patients in the hospitals. In ANY person with previous hospitalizations of documentation of MRSA, you want to confirm they are no longer colonized with MRSA prior to having them in the same room with another patient WITHOUT MRSA. So even though your previous MRSA infection is gone, it's still possible the MRSA lives on your skin (without causing an infection) so they have to rule that out.

There is a HUGE HUGE HUGE misconception about MRSA in the community. People with MRSA don't have to be "more hygenic" or be any different than someone without MRSA. MRSA and its cousin MSSA are bacteria which normally live on the skin of millions and millions of people around the world. For most of us, the bacteria live there in harmony and don't cause any problems. There are a select few people in whom the MRSA for some reason becomes invasive and causes disease...but that's no different than people who have MSSA and get boils or pimples.

In the US, when you go to the shopping mall, probably 40% of the people there are colonized with Staphylococcus aureus, and about 80% of those are MRSA. But you don't think of them having a communicable disease like typhoid or the common cold do you? Unfortunately, the way the media has portrayed MRSA in the US, people who have infections with it are made to feel like they have some terrible disease which has, as you mentioned, resulted in a sort of stigma which I think is unfortunate and ridiculous.

I've written about this many times on these healthboards, but every day someone else comes and talks about their terrible experience with the stigma of MRSA. I hope to be able to clear this up for you, so if you have any more questions, please ask.

The Following User Says Thank You to harka For This Useful Post:
nanc7882 (04-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread