It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
(female)

sue0317 HB Usersue0317 HB User
Exclamation Vancomycin resistant enterococcus UTI

I had been having some nausea and flank pain for 2 weeks, then it got much worse. The pain increased and I was vomiting for a week and I was having urinary symptoms. I went to an urgent care center and they did a urinalysis, which was negative, and sent the urine to the lab for culture. As I left the office the doctor said it was something he thought would just pass on its own. I've had almost constant UTI's and kidney infections for 2 years, so I knew he was wrong. I have been taking Bactrim everyday since January for UTI prophylaxis.

I got a call from the office 5 days later saying my urine culture was positive, but I didn't need antibiotics unless I wanted them. So I called just to find out more about the test results and the doctor told me that the bacteria was sensitive to Bactrim, so I could just keep taking it. This didn't seem right to me, since I had been taking Bactrim before I got the infection, it clearly wasn't working. I had them fax the results to my family doctor so he could look at it. My family doctor got the fax, but not the message that I wanted him to review it and see if Bactrim was appropriate, so he didn't look at the results until a week later when I went to see him because I was sick. It turns out the enterococcus bacteria is resistant to ampicillin, levofoxacin, cipro, nitrofuratoin, and vancomycin. It's sensitive to linezolid and quinupristin/dalfopristin.

I switched from Bactrim to Augmentin because of a dental infection. Then when I saw my doctor he gave me a shot of Rocephin.

I had an appointment with my urologist 2 days later for a cystoscopy. I was telling the nurse about what had been going on recently and she was very concerned because she said they CANNOT do the cystoscopy if I have an active infection. The got the urine culture results from my other doctor. The urologist looked at it and said it was ok to do the cystoscopy, since I was currently taking Augmentin and had a shot of Rocephin 2 days before, even though the lab test didn't say that those drugs would kill the baceria (They very likely will not, since it's vancomycin resistant enterococcus and it's resistant to so many other drugs. Apparently my urologist is unaware of this type of infection). They also did a urinalysis before to make sure I didn't have an infection. The test was positive for leukocytes. The urologist said it probably was just nothing (even though I had symptoms and a positive urine culture for a bacteria which had yet to be treated with a drug it's sensitive to). I was really annoyed that he was so dismissive. What other proof do these people want of infection??? I have symptoms, positive urinalysis, and positive urine culture!

I another doc at my primary care office the next day because my mouth was feeling worse and my side/kidney pain was worse. I showed him the urine culture results the urgent care had faxed me, which at that point, had been ammended to make note that it was "vancomycin resistant enterococcus". The doctor told me it sounded like I had had a kidney infection, based on my symptoms, so it will take longer to go away that just a regular UTI (I knew it was a kidney infection, but it's nice to hear someone beside me acknowledging it.). He looked at the culture and sensitivity results and said that it's resistant to almost everything, is resistant to every antibiotic he's ever prescribed for a UTI (implying that he's not comfortable prescribing the drug it's actually sensitive to, not is he concerned with me getting that drug or referring me to infectious disease), and that I should just keep taking Augmetin and it should go away, it just might take time. I asked how much longer I should take it, since I had only 2 more days in my prescription. Then he said maybe I'd have to stop the antibiotics for a while (even though I'm really sick!!!) so he could get another culture and that he could give me pyridium.

I'm sooo annoyed and baffled by these doctors! This is a serious type of infection. It needs to be treated if it's causing a kidney infection. Throwing ineffective antibiotics at me will never work. What's the point of them even doing a culture and sensitivity if they just ignore it? I don't know what to do. The longer time goes on, the more likely the doctors are to just ignore this and say it's probably passed by now. I'm sure it has not. I'm still sick. I get constant very bad infections all the time that only partially clear with antibiotics. My immune system is horrible. This won't go away on its own. It's just making me sicker and killing my immune system even more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread