It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2010, 12:55 AM   #1
(female)

usignuolo HB User
Unhappy pain relief for nerve inflammation - advice needed

I am just starting to recover from a bout of shingles on the left side of my torso. Although I am in my early 60s it came as a surprise as I am actually very healthy. I got to my doctor early and was prescribed aciclovar (anti viral) and a short course of co-codomal (8mg codeine/500mg paracetamol) for the pain. (She only prescribed the co-codomal very reluctantly as she said they did not prescribe codeine based painkillers as a rule because they were addictive. We agreed this was not really a risk in my case, normally I do not take any drugs.)

The original rash blisters clusters were painful but are healing and I did not get a huge rash which I assume was due to the antivirals The rash has nearly all healed now. The trouble is my doctor and a lot of the literature assume the main pain is caused by the rash. It isn't in my case it is the underlying nerves which are clearly still very inflamed. My doctor says I have to be patient and wait a bit longer for the nerve pain to clear. The trouble is it is so bad in the early hours I cannot speak and feel sick with it.

The instructions on the cocodamol say not more than 2 at once or 8 in 24 hours. At 2 every 6 hours this is nowhere near enough to touch the pain. If I stick it out during the day so that I can take two when I go to bed at midnight, I still get woken at around 4 am feeling as if I am being gnawed by rats around my waist. The doctor says she cannot prescribe anything stronger at present I just have to wait for it clear up for a bit longer.

How many parecetamol/codeine (500/8) or aspirin/codeine (500/8) can I safely take daily for a short period for pain relief, given I am not the addictive type and not on any other drugs and underlying healthy (no medical conditions).? Can anyone suggest any alternative remedies? My son lives in the US but is coming to see me in the UK in about ten days time, so I could get him to bring anything herbal maybe not available in the UK.

Last edited by usignuolo; 06-17-2010 at 03:06 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread