It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
(female)

Rebeca1184 HB User
What could this be?? Mono test was negative!

OK, I'll try to make this short and to the point:

Last week I had a pain in my lower back/hip on my right side that came on suddenly and then slowly got better over 4-5 days.

Over the weekend I noticed swollen lymph nodes in my neck, a little bit of a sore throat, and some excessive sweating.

Since then I've had these symptoms:

-lymph nodes still swollen
-sore throat
-night sweats so bad it was like I wet the bed
-sweating during the day, even when I'm cold
-chills
-dizziness/lightheadedness
-headache
-loss of appetite
-nausea
-fatigue

I went to the doctor on Monday afternoon and he basically told me he wasn't sure what was wrong with me but it sounded a little bit like Mono. So he prescribed a Z-pack and they took some blood. They called me back today to let me know that my results were all normal and I don't have mono, and "keep taking the antibiotics and you should be fine." Well, you don't know what's wrong with me! How do you know that a z-pack is gonna make everything "fine"??

But I guess my real question is, is it possible that I do have mono and it was just a false negative? I've heard of that happening with mono, something about testing for it too early or something.. But if I really don't have mono, what else could it be??

Old 07-02-2010, 04:24 AM   #2
(female)

pfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB User
Re: What could this be?? Mono test was negative!

For various reasons, mono screening tests sometimes give a false negative.

I believe one reason is that "mono" can caused by 2 different viruses (Epstein-Barr virus or Cytomegalovirus), and CMV is more likely to be missed on the mono screening test. Another is if you didn't have enough antibodies yet for the test to turn positive.

If your symptoms remain, there are additional tests for the EBV and CMV that the doctors could run later (once sufficient antibodies would be present), if you are still having symptoms and want to know for sure whether it is mono.

Other viruses or bacterial infections can cause mono-like symptoms. Don't hesitate to go back to the doctor if you continue to have symptoms that concern you.

I don't blame you for wanting to know what it is, for curiosity-sake! Let us know if you find out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
(male)

asano HB User
Re: What could this be?? Mono test was negative!

Quote:
-lymph nodes still **** painful but no swelling
-sore throat
-night sweats
-sweating during the day/night, even when I'm cold
-chills
no Fever? your symptoms are similar to mine, got no fevers too and symptoms are still there for 2 months now.

I have read that EBV has a significant rate of false positive or false negative.

I wanted to have EBV test regardless of false results but it's not available in my place.

Last edited by asano; 07-02-2010 at 08:56 AM.

Closed Thread