It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
(male)

TomTomorrow HB User
Reoccuring viral(?) infection driving me NUTS! Advice, please.

Came down with some kind of superbug in May of this year: aches, garbage feeling, awful sore throat the first week, bronchitis (DXed by doctor) the second, got some antibiotics and began feeling better by the third.

Week four, I had an elevated (for me) temp or 99.9 or so. That gave way to an awful bout of tonsillitis, where my tonsils were extremely inflamed and pus-filled. Quick strep was negative, but got more antibiotics anyway. Tonsils stopped oozing in mid-June. Ever since, they've still been enlarged and feel "full," but no pain. Have had post-nasal drip this entire time, so I suspected it was irritating them.

Friday: developed body aches and a fever that is now peaking at 103.7. Don't really feel sick otherwise, just fatigued, hot, cotton-headed and achy. Considering my tonsils haven't gone down much this entire time, I suspect it's the same virus as before and not a fresh infection.

Ugh! What could possibly be the cause of this? I'm finding it very difficult to enjoy anything because I'm constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'll go to the doctor if the fever persists for more than five days (it's been two), but I expect they won't be able to tell me much unless they draw blood. (And possibly not even then.)

Is it possible the ABX interfered with my body trying to kill the infection and now it's raising my temp in an effort to get rid of it once and for all? Or do I need a much longer course of them? (Doc wanted to do a long-term throat swab, but I gag horribly and refused it, thinking antibiotics would cover any bacterial infection.) I thought of mono, but had that when I was a teenager and didn't have any of these symptoms. (Just fatigue and nausea.) Should add I was under extreme stress at the time of the initial illness, so I suppose it's possible the mono "re-activated" in a new form. (From my understanding, EBV never leaves your system.)

If anyone has any clue, please chime in. I would very much appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread