It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
(female)

kairdex HB User
Staph Problem

Hi everyone,
I am at my wit's end so I thought maybe someone on here might have some experience with this. I had a baby in February. About a week after coming out of the hospital I developed a boil. I had no idea what it was I called my GP and he told me to squeeze it and try to drain it at home. Well after trying to do this I developed two more boils and about 20 pustules. These were all on my behind. I finally insisted on coming in for him to see it. He then gave me Keflex for 10 days. In the meantime, I wasn't seeing a ton of improvement. Some, but not a lot. So I made an appointment with a dermatologist. He diagnosed me as having folliculitis. He extended my prescription for Keflex for three weeks total. He also gave me some topical antibiotic and told me to use a Benzoyl Peroxide wash in the shower. This still wasn't good enough and I still continued to get these things although they were a lot smaller. So he switched me to Doxycycline for another 10 days. Again, the pimples were very very tiny now but still appearing. He gave me a Benzoyl Peroxide foam to use then. And when I was still getting them he switched me to Ceftin for another three weeks. That seemed to stop the formation of anything. He then told me to stay on the wash and the foam every other day for the rest of the summer just in case. Since then I would get one tiny pimple every two weeks or so until about two weeks ago when I had a relatively larger one which at this point probably could have been biopsied or cultured (yes NO ONE has cultured anything up to this point) but the dermatologist was on vacation and it was up and down in like 24 hours with the foam.

In the meantime, starting about June I started to get ear pimples in both ears. Pretty much every few weeks. The past two weeks I've gotten two in the same ear. One popped and the next day another started forming. I am going to see an ENT on Saturday because the dermatologist said he doesn't treat ear pimples. I am not sure what he's going to do.

In addition, in June I got cellulitis in my left eyelid and had to be on a z-pack for that. Also I get styes in my right eye pretty much every week now. They just pop on their own. I've seen an eye doctor who explained I have blepheritis and that's why my oil glands keep getting clogged.

My GP sent me to an infectious disease doctor at this point because of all of this weird stuff. The ID said he can't do anything unless something is cultured. But you can't culture a stye and I haven't been able to get anyone to do anything about the things in my ears and nothing else has been popping up anywhere else. He did tell me to use that nasal antibiotic ointment in my nose, which I did, and to wash three times a week for two weeks with Hibiclens, my entire body.

I have no clue what the problem is though because it seems BIZARRE to me that I keep getting all of these random staph infections. Thankfully they are not serious but what if they become serious at some point? Here are the explanations I have been given by the various doctors:

1. The dermatologist: It's not MRSA it's folliculitis and it's caused by post partum hormones.
2. GP: It's all hormonal.
3. The ID guy said I could have picked something up at the hospital but wasn't sure what.
4. My endocrinologist (I have a thyroid prob I see him for) said that when you are pregnant your immune system is suppressed and it might have continued to be suppressed afterwards for awhile but he thinks it should have calmed down by now. He ran some cultures of my throat and urine to see if there's bacteria there because he said staph can colonize there too. And he's running some immune bloodwork which we haven't gotten back yet.

My GP ran regular, CBC, CMP, and some other test for inflammation in the body and all were normal. I am a very healthy person otherwise. I haven't been sick since like dec. of 2009. So I have no clue what this is or what to do about it. Has anyone got any ideas? Thank you!

The following user gives a hug of support to kairdex:
mairah (01-05-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to kairdex For This Useful Post:
mairah (01-05-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
(female)

mairah HB User
Re: Staph Problem

How are you doing now? Are you still getting boils?

Do you experience any pain or the feeling of 'fullness' in any of your ears?

Closed Thread