It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
(male)

stephen80549 HB User
Staph Infection of the Backbone

Hi all,

Back in February I had back surgery for spinal stenosis at L 4-5
Eight days later, I had to have surgery for a large hematoma that was very deep. Nine days later I was in surgery again for an invasive staph infection that had settled in my back bone.

The treatment, as the staph infection was so close to my spine, was IV vancomycin that was delivered every four hours via a pump that I had to wear 24 hours a day for 6 weeks.

My question is: What are the possible affects on the body after invasive staph infection.

I have told my family that I do not feel the same after my three surgeries. I am very tired to the point that I have to take several long naps a day usually lasting 2 to 3 hours each. My balance is quite bad ( yesterday I miss-stepped and fell going up a flight of steps.) I body get overwhelmed just walking to the mailbox, and generally I just don't feel good.

If anyone has any thoughts on this I would appreciate some feedback.

Thank you!

Stephen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
(male)

staphtired HB User
Re: Staph Infection of the Backbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen80549 View Post
Hi all,

Back in February I had back surgery for spinal stenosis at L 4-5
Eight days later, I had to have surgery for a large hematoma that was very deep. Nine days later I was in surgery again for an invasive staph infection that had settled in my back bone.

The treatment, as the staph infection was so close to my spine, was IV vancomycin that was delivered every four hours via a pump that I had to wear 24 hours a day for 6 weeks.

My question is: What are the possible affects on the body after invasive staph infection.

I have told my family that I do not feel the same after my three surgeries. I am very tired to the point that I have to take several long naps a day usually lasting 2 to 3 hours each. My balance is quite bad ( yesterday I miss-stepped and fell going up a flight of steps.) I body get overwhelmed just walking to the mailbox, and generally I just don't feel good.

If anyone has any thoughts on this I would appreciate some feedback.

Thank you!

Stephen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
(male)

staphtired HB User
Re: Staph Infection of the Backbone

Hi! I had surgery earlier this year on my back. Staph infection too. Many IV Antibiotics at home
many alergic reactions to them too. I feel dizzy and tired all the time. Do some research on Vanco it can effct your ears..major side effect vertigo. Once I found that out I was relieved. I suffer from Vertigo and it made it immensly worse. Your body is in healing mode you will be tired. Keep up with a great Infectious Doc, get a really good one. I had a bad one that caused mine to come back after 8 weeks thought my pain was more of a pain mgmt issue. Turns out that it was due to the infection not being cleared. I kept telling her but she did not listen. Listen to you body and your gut feelings, if you feel something is wrong you are probably right. Dont take no for answer, get CT Scan MRI not just blood work, mine blood work looked ok but this infection was raging and not cured even though she said I was ok. Hope this helps!
Hang in there... I am still treating got a new group of Infect Docs great great Docs have several weeks left to treat after many months. A am very hopeful they will get the job done!

Closed Thread