It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
(male)

enigmatics HB User
Is this MRSA that wasn't properly identified/treated?

I've been searching long and hard for about 4-5 years for the answers to my drastic decline in overall wellness. In November 2005 I was in Seattle on a work trip. My job at the time was to fly around company helping with the opening of new restaurants for my company. Around the 4th day I noticed I had some kind of infection in my mouth around the lower back left gum line. As the days proceeded it got worse. I had an unbelievably high fever. My body ached. My arm pits swelled up. Literally my entire mouth hurt, my gums were sore, and they bled a little bit. I also had a sore develop on my lip.

Naively, I tried to force myself to work thru all of this since I needed the money. One night I had a really bad bout of diarrhea that came out completely black. I decided enough was enough and I drove myself to a hospital. The doctor didn't spend too much time with me. He pretty much just prescribed me some Penicillan 500V and sent me on my marry way.

The infection seemed to have cleared up within a couple of weeks, but I noticed I was not feeling the same. I felt fatigued and bloated all the time. The inside of my nose was always crusting up. I had a bout of nausea that lasted 5 months in a row. My whole body was doing funny things and I was experiencing a myriad of symptoms that did not make sense. It was driving me crazy

As aforementioned, I've spent a long time looking for answers. Routine panels run by doctors have turned up nothing. I'm just so frustrated as my quality of life has been crushed. I've felt like crap literally for 5 years in a row. I have to ration my energy everyday. I'm just not the same person and feel unwell all the time.

Recently the nose crust issue has started again. I noticed what felt like a pimple inside of my nose. The inside of it also feels so irritated/swollen. I started doing some reading which led me down the staph-MRSA path. Is it at all possible that the infection/sickness I experienced in Seattle back in 2005, was actually a staph-MRSA infection that's lingered? Some of what I've read about both it's surface symptoms and when it breaks barriers and gets into the blood sound so familiar to me.

I called the hospital/clinic I had visited back in Seattle. Unfortunately, they do not have record me being there anymore with your 4 year time limit of me never having gone back. I was hoping I could perhaps see if the doctor made a notation of something that might help clear all this up.

Last edited by enigmatics; 10-23-2010 at 01:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
(female)

ngc224 HB User
Re: Is this MRSA that wasn't properly identified/treated?

Let me share my MRSA story... For about a year before I was diagnosed with MRSA, I had been having nausea, nasal infections, acne, GI problems including diarrhea, poor sex drive, vaginal infections, and a host of other issues I was having treated individually or just living with. Finally, I had an abscess that was drained and cultured and it was found to be MRSA. I was treated for the MRSA with Cipro (allergic to sulfa drugs), and lo and behold all my other symptoms disappeared, along with the MRSA in that location. Since they (about 1 year) I had recurring MRSA infections, but they've all been skin or mucus membrane-related. The last course of antibiotics I went on was about 3 months ago (Cipro & clindamycin) and I have not had a problem since.

Basically, in my non-medical opinion based on experience, the nose issue alone points to MRSA since staph lives in the nose. You might want to see an ENT and ask for an oral antibiotic as well as a topical (which they like to do for nasal infections) since you seem to have systemic symptoms.

Good luck.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
(male)

enigmatics HB User

Thank you for the response. How you described that year of dealing with all these issues is basically the same thing I've been thru (minus the vaginal infections) .... Every time I've tried to verbalize what I've been going thru to my family or other doctors I just feel like I'm coming off crazy. I've constantly retraced my steps trying to figure out the genesis of it all. Having had mono back when I was in college, my immune system wasn't quite the same, which I would think could leave a nice door open for an MRSA problem.

What would you describe your skin related issues like? One thing I've always been curious about is my skin doesn't feel the same as it used to. I'm the "metro" type so I shave my arms .... but the last few years I've had real problems with ingrowns/pimples from when the hairs grow back. I suspect that if it's MRSA, then by shaving it's opening up the pores and spreading the infection along the skin. I also notice that my skin doesn't react well when I drink beers or eat foods with processed white flour and sugars. Facial acne too. Not overbearing, but enough to be bothersome.

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-19-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 10-31-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatics View Post
I've been searching long and hard for about 4-5 years for the answers to my drastic decline in overall wellness. In November 2005 I was in Seattle on a work trip. My job at the time was to fly around company helping with the opening of new restaurants for my company. Around the 4th day I noticed I had some kind of infection in my mouth around the lower back left gum line.

Did they ever culture this?

As the days proceeded it got worse. I had an unbelievably high fever. My body ached. My arm pits swelled up. Literally my entire mouth hurt, my gums were sore, and they bled a little bit. I also had a sore develop on my lip.

Naively, I tried to force myself to work thru all of this since I needed the money. One night I had a really bad bout of diarrhea that came out completely black. I decided enough was enough and I drove myself to a hospital. The doctor didn't spend too much time with me. He pretty much just prescribed me some Penicillan 500V and sent me on my marry way.

The infection seemed to have cleared up within a couple of weeks, but I noticed I was not feeling the same. I felt fatigued and bloated all the time. The inside of my nose was always crusting up.

Has this been tested for bacteria?

I had a bout of nausea that lasted 5 months in a row. My whole body was doing funny things and I was experiencing a myriad of symptoms that did not make sense. It was driving me crazy

As aforementioned, I've spent a long time looking for answers. Routine panels run by doctors have turned up nothing. I'm just so frustrated as my quality of life has been crushed. I've felt like crap literally for 5 years in a row. I have to ration my energy everyday. I'm just not the same person and feel unwell all the time.

Recently the nose crust issue has started again. I noticed what felt like a pimple inside of my nose. The inside of it also feels so irritated/swollen. I started doing some reading which led me down the staph-MRSA path. Is it at all possible that the infection/sickness I experienced in Seattle back in 2005, was actually a staph-MRSA infection that's lingered? Some of what I've read about both it's surface symptoms and when it breaks barriers and gets into the blood sound so familiar to me.

I called the hospital/clinic I had visited back in Seattle. Unfortunately, they do not have record me being there anymore with your 4 year time limit of me never having gone back.

This is one reason I like keeping copies of Dr. visits so I can have all my information available to me. I like to collect it shortly afterward.

I was hoping I could perhaps see if the doctor made a notation of something that might help clear all this up.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
(male)

enigmatics HB User

Sib,

I do not remember if the doctor in Seattle cultured it. I felt so awful when I checked myself in that I was almost delirious. All i remember is him barely spending any time with me, taking a quick peak, and then prescribing some meds to clear the infection. I was from out of town and just seemed like they wanted to get me in and out.

I wish I had thought sooner about locating that hospital in an attempt to get the record of my visit.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
(female)

ngc224 HB User

Skin issues presented as pimples, particularly where hair was plucked or shaved, abscesses, boils, and wounds that wept and healed very slowly.

I'd recommend against shaving or breaking the skin in any way. My doctor suggested betadine scrubs on the skin to kill off the staph that's on the surface. Also, if you've got staph and you're shaving, it's on your razor and you're spreading it all over everywhere you shave. If you MUST shave, you'll probably need to buy disposables and use them one time.. or just go natural for a while.

Good luck.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
(male)

enigmatics HB User

Sounds like what I've been going thru alright. Again one of the first things I noticed was the change in how my skin responded, specifically to shaving. I had never had the problem with the pimples at the shaving sites prior.

Also this wasn't from shaving, but I can recall a few times where I had pimple on my butt. It was very painful, but now that I think about it, that probably wasn't just a pimple .... boil?

I seriously think there's something to this.

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-19-2010 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 11-01-2010, 04:14 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

Enigmatics,

The problem unfortunately with your situation is that, it is very unlikely that you have an infection that has been going on for five years. It sounds like you did have an oral infection back 5 years ago, but Staph aureus (whether MSSA or MRSA) doesn't generally cause oral infections.

There is a huge misconception in the US about what MRSA is. It's just a regular bacteria which lives on your skin, and in fact, in most people it poses no problem. If you DO have problems with MRSA invasive infection, it's usually recurrent boils (called furunculosis) or a severe pneumonia that will put you in the ICU. Neither of these seem to apply to you.

One thing that CAN happen, however, after you have an infection is that you can have an immune response in terms of "cytokine" excretion which is responsible for those flu-like symptoms (i.e. fatigue, feeling really gross, nausea etc.) that can continue despite the original infection being gone. The other problem is, ANY type of infection can give you these symptoms, and there is no evidence from what you have presented that suggests MRSA in any way. Even if a doctor swabs your nose and FINDS MRSA, it still doesn't prove anything. There are 200,000,000 people across the US who also would culture positive and have nothing wrong with them.

Another thing that's very important: since you had that oral infection, did you ever go and get any further dental work done? Did you have an x-ray to rule out an abscess? Now a chronic serious DENTAL infection can surely make people feel very unwell for a LOOOONG period of time.

I'm very sorry to be contradictory to what everyone else is saying, but I've seen too many people go down this crusade against MRSA when there is something else going on and it's not found. If you read the "sticky" at the top of the Infectious Diseases forum, you'll see a little post I wrote on MRSA....take a read of it--it may help you/

Have you had any fever by the way? (i.e. a fever measured with a thermometer).

Old 11-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
(male)

enigmatics HB User
Re: Is this MRSA that wasn't properly treated?

Harka,

I hear what you're saying. Yet, this past July the nose thing flared up again. My nose feels swollen. I had what felt like a really painful bump on the inside. The rest of the inside of my nose has been really irritated and crusting up quite a bit (blood in there too). All of the sudden I'm getting large, cystic looking acne again.

Some of the other bodily symptoms are hitting again too like the extreme fatigue. The rough pain in my chest when I sneeze (like there's something in my lungs) .... strange heart palpitations/squeezing.

As far as a "fever" is concerned back when I had checked myself into that hospital in Seattle I was over 100.

Another thing to consider here is I had mono back in college and my immune system was never quite the same. I can only imagine the kinds of things one can become susceptible to after that.

As far as the dental stuff, I still have my wisdom teeth, especially the one where that infection turned up, but I don't have any kind of infection lingering back there that I know of .... but I've heard much like you that lingering dental problems can also lead to other health problems.

Last edited by enigmatics; 11-01-2010 at 09:03 AM.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

I know someone who used betadine scrub and the MRSA merely got stronger but later went to an herbal naturopath and got better.

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-19-2010 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 11-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #11
(male)

enigmatics HB User

I also wanted to bring up this strange pink/red circle on my nose that appeared back in July when the inside started getting all irritated and crusty .... is this anything familiar to MRSA or staph? Again, it had never been there before and it's still there 4 months later. It's definitely not a pimple or zit.

http://uploadpic.org/storage/origina...jle43f4983.jpg

Last edited by enigmatics; 11-03-2010 at 05:46 PM.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

In my opinion if you had it for that long then maybe. Some people have used tea tree oil lozenges every few hours and later on other things such as Robert's formula from a naturopath for several months and got better. I would not use the oil externally there is the difficulty of possible spread. There is also a risk that if the organisms are not gotten rid of they will simply get stronger. I would not use any sugar if I were you. I would use all the general health measures I could I have posted about several in other places. Another suggestion is that perhaps a person should be sure to keep the face off the pillow at night when sleeping as much as possible. Of course this does not guarantee a cure and is not advice either.

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-19-2010 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 11-04-2010, 09:22 AM   #13
(male)

enigmatics HB User

See the sugar thing kind of fits what I've been saying. I notice that my skin acts terribly after I've had anything with high sugar or white starches.

I had been using a topical tea tree oil to rub at the entrance of my nose, but perhaps I need to try those lozenges. Oh and I should note that I feel I have a couple sores on my scalp. Thought maybe it was just a pimple, but who knows.

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-19-2010 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 11-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

They have special natural shampoos with tea tree oil added and castile soap with eucalyptus oil added you might enjoy.

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-19-2010 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:08 AM   #15
(male)

enigmatics HB User

.... Just a little update. Haven't seen a doctor yet as I'm waiting for a new insurance company to get me thru underwriting. At any rate, I've had a few head/scalp sores that started up last week. Does this look familiar to anyone?

http://uploadpic.org/storage/origina...4dfsjssn8f.jpg

Closed Thread