It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
(female)

sparky2010 HB User
Tired of dealing with boils

I will give a little history on my situation. I had never had much issues with my skin until after having my daughter 7 years ago. During my 6 week checkup with my OB/GYN I had mentioned to him about a boil that showed up on my stomach. He told me it was common thing. I accepted this and it gradually kept getting worse over time and I was continually getting them all over my stomach. The boils get huge in size and very painful. Sometimes they drain yellowish pus, sometimes blood. Sometimes they are very hard in the middle and I try to drain it but a hard black thing comes out. They are very painful and tender to the touch and warm. After I drain it and clean it, when it starts to heal, it will leave a scar and a purplish area on my skin. Sometimes the boils will have a hole in it after it drains and sometimes has skin crust around the outside. About 5 years ago, I started to see a dermatologist and she told me that it was forunclitis and put me on Bactrim just in case it was bacterial infection. I took my medication until it was gone and nothing changed. I did start getting boils on the inside of my thighs, armpits, below breasts. I started to take showers twice a day just to make sure it wasn't being caused by sweat. Nothing improved. I learned to deal with it for couple more years then went to a different dermatologist. She took a culture of one of my boils and found traces of Staph. She placed me on Accutane program to dry up my skin. The only thing that it did was make my condition worse. I have just learned to deal with the pain and try to keep them as clean as possible but I don't have insurance and am not sure what it is. I have done some research and compared my boils to some pictures on the internet and looks very familar to MRSA. Can anyone please tell me if the one doctor told me there was Staph and Bactrim didn't work then why anything else was done or is it something that might go away or not very serious? I have attached a pic of what it looks like to maybe help someone tell me what they think it could be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00028-20101110-2330.jpg (117.4 KB, 7 views)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User
Re: Tired of dealing with boils

With the locations you have mentioned it sounds like Hidradenitis suppurativa

Considered a severe form of acne (acne inversa), hidradenitis suppurativa occurs deep in the skin around oil (sebaceous) glands and hair follicles. The parts of the body affected — the groin and armpits, for example — are also the main locations of apocrine sweat glands.

Hope this helps.

Pup

Old 12-05-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
(female)

GracelsGone HB User
Re: Tired of dealing with boils

I struggle with this very same problem. Have for a few years now. It is startling how probable it is that I have acne inversa when I research it. I have been diagnosed with MRSA twice and prescribed every type of antibiotic and cure for bacteria there is. I am trying to find a doctor in my area who is familar with this disorder. It is so painful, disturbing, embarassing and only gets worse. It is relentless.

Closed Thread